The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi TGS!

I'm new here, and decently new to owning goats.

My husband and I got our first goats about 4 years ago, two Australian Miniature wethers. We bottle fed them from 2 weeks old and had great fun with their antics. Sadly we lost Fred when he was 2 years old, but we still have George now!

In November 2019, we acquired 2 Nubian cross does (we're guessing, anyway) and one young buckling (approx 10 days). Basically, a friend had a friend who's health had rapidly deteriorated and he desperately had to rehome his goats. We took them in, and have had great fun learning about the wonders of dairy does.

Pamela is the older of the two, I believe she is 3-4 years old. She is also Lacey's dam. She is the sweetest lil thing, and gives us beautiful fresh milk every day. She's easy to handle, a joy to have around, and just an all round lovely girl. We were getting TONNES of milk from her, but since weaning her kid that dropped right off, and is just now beginning to increase again. We get about 1L a day from her which is plenty for our family!

Lacey is Pamela's 2 year old daughter. I believe she's kidded once before we got her, but she wasn't pregnant or in milk when we got her in November. I LOVE this girl but she sure is ornery compared to her dam! She's a troublemaker, hard to walk on a lead, a brat on the milking stand (just for maintenance like hoof trimming etc) and a bully to the others (we house them with George our wether, as well as our small flock of 4 sheep). Still, she's got character and I adore her, lol!

I had both girls blood tested for CAE and JD (which are pretty standard tests over here in Aus, I believe) and both came back negative which is great!

We loooove having milking goats, but we also have a 15 month old daughter who is just a littttle too small to handle these girls when they get pushy. I have been looking into smaller breeds that are still good for milking, and over the course of the last few months have fallen in love with the Nigerian Dwarf breed. We have few pure ND over here, but after a lot of contacting many studs and being refused services to outside does (fair enough!!) I finally found a fairly local, 100% ND buck that they were willing to pimp out to my ladies. Yay!

So, we are currently just finalising the last few things we need in order to safely house Mr Hurley here for 3 weeks to breed both of the does. I'm a little worried that our girls will be too big and too pushy for him, as he's still young and only mated a few times. I have posted a separate thread on the "Bucks" forum, if anyone more experienced has any advice for me!

Here are some photos of our lovely herd.
This is Lacey (blue collar), the ornery little doe with the sweetest face. Her name was originally Lucy, but I have a goose called Lucy, so she became Lacey!
81818035_863783090729692_8388782027779866624_n.jpg

This is Pamela, Lacey's dam and our current milking doe. She is such a lovely girl!
81675247_10221356766207194_7352879192075141120_n.jpg

Double trouble...Lacey (left) and Pam (right)
83489321_849055738869094_7164341797206884352_n.jpg

Our Australian Miniature goat, George. Such a character and thinks he is King of the world! We love this boy. Such a funny dude to have on the farm!
71339048_10220205731232039_2141635216802840576_n.jpg

When Lacey and George met for the first time...these two have such big personalities, lol!!
79368373_813212989120036_1837518817480146944_n.jpg

And just for fun...George when he was just a tiny baby! So cute!
21432834_10213877379867210_8044830682223646929_n.jpg

·
Registered
30,625 Posts
AWE..good lookin bunch. For breeding...I would set a pen up and house the buck with your wether while he's there to visit. Being young maybe an issue with the ladies and they may hurt him. When breeding smaller buck to larger does you will need to set up a steady platform. What we do is set up our breeding pen which is a portable pen. We have a platform in the pen. When a doe shows signs of heat we bring her to the breeding pen and then the buck. We hold the doe rear facing the platform. The buck naturally wants to get behind the doe and gets on the platform to reach the doe. We prefer to get three good visuals of breeding so between successful connection we leave the pen so the buck has his flirt time and prepares for next encounter. Sometimes they don't need our help at all...good luck.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Welcome to TGS! SO glad you are here and going to share your adventures with us. Its amazing how many of us truley enjoy our goats. How involved we can be in their life. Your goats are adorable. Cant wait for Hurley to meet your girls. See what cuties you have.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AWE..good lookin bunch. For breeding...I would set a pen up and house the buck with your wether while he's there to visit. Being young maybe an issue with the ladies and they may hurt him. When breeding smaller buck to larger does you will need to set up a steady platform. What we do is set up our breeding pen which is a portable pen. We have a platform in the pen. When a doe shows signs of heat we bring her to the breeding pen and then the buck. We hold the doe rear facing the platform. The buck naturally wants to get behind the doe and gets on the platform to reach the doe. We prefer to get three good visuals of breeding so between successful connection we leave the pen so the buck has his flirt time and prepares for next encounter. Sometimes they don't need our help at all...good luck.
Thanks so much for the advice and sharing your experience! We definitely don't want to knock his confidence at all or risk him getting hurt. We are setting up a breeding pen this week and then hopefully Hurley will be here to visit on the weekend!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hello, welcome to The Goat Spot!
Your goats are absolutely stunning. I love Lacey and Pam's coloring and George is a handsome whether. :) They are all very photogenic.:inlove:
:hubbahubba:
As for your Nigerian Dwarf buck and taller doe, I have a doe (named Lucy, coincidence? :haha:) who is a Pygmy Nubian cross. We have bred her to a purebred Nigerian Dwarf buck almost every year and she hasn't had any problem getting bred with him. He is a little short, but they make do. We don't use any kind of platform, but it might be a good idea to have one in there just in case. :)
Here is Lucy's brother Liam, (Just an inch or so taller) next to our 60 inch (15 hands, 5 feet) tall horse for perspective. If your goats are around the same height, I don't think there will be any problem. ;)
more, more luke and lee 063.JPG

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, welcome to The Goat Spot!
Your goats are absolutely stunning. I love Lacey and Pam's coloring and George is a handsome whether. :) They are all very photogenic.:inlove:
:hubbahubba:
As for your Nigerian Dwarf buck and taller doe, I have a doe (named Lucy, coincidence? :haha:) who is a Pygmy Nubian cross. We have bred her to a purebred Nigerian Dwarf buck almost every year and she hasn't had any problem getting bred with him. He is a little short, but they make do. We don't use any kind of platform, but it might be a good idea to have one in there just in case. :)
Here is Lucy's brother Liam, (Just an inch or so taller) next to our 60 inch (15 hands, 5 feet) tall horse for perspective. If your goats are around the same height, I don't think there will be any problem. ;)
View attachment 179657
Oh, that is good to hear!! I'm thinking they will be alright, but am willing and ready to assist if needed. I found out today that Hurley's owner is going to sell him, and while I would love to buy him, I want to make sure that we are actually ready and able to have a buck fulltime, and I think a 3 week long venture will be a good way to find that out. If all that goes well...I will have to do a lot of convincing to my husband, as a $3000 goat purchase wasn't really ever on the cards :eek:

Thanks for the photography compliments! I am definitely no photographer haha! Just a gal with a DSLR that snaps about 1000 photos and occasionally gets a good one. I do love taking photos, though! It helps when my subjects are so photogenic, lol!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts