I'm Really Getting Excited Now!!!!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by peggy, Dec 28, 2010.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Well, I am finally convinced that Sabrina is bred. Now, the question is when will she kid. She is a young FF. I have noticed for the past week that she is starting to get a little bit of looseness in her udder area. No big deal, though. Today when I went into the barn, she was lying down and didn't get up right away which is unusal for her. She is still a bit skittish, so normally jumps up right away so she is in escape mode in case I decide to pet her, heaven forbid..... But anyway, I can see quite a bit more filling in the udder area and also she looks very loose in the vagina area. So now I am wondering when she will kid. The lady I got her from said that she should kid mid Feb. But she had the does in with the bucks and didn't see when they were bred. Would she start bagging up already and other stuff?? I don't notice a huge big belly but she is a little bigger than normal. I looked on the Fiasco site and this is what she had to say..........

A doe, who has never kidded before may usually start "making her udder" (developing an udder) 4-6 weeks before kidding (note I say may- we have had doe wait until a couple days before she kidded to even start making their udder and it didn't really fill out until hours before she kidded). A doe that has kidded before may start "bagging up" (filling her udder with milk in preparation to feed her kids) a week before kidding but she may even wait until the day she kids.

So what do you experts think?? Should I plan on 4 weeks or 6 weeks according to how she is progressing. I'm just another worried goat Mom...

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    February sounds about right for what you are experiencing

3. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Thanks Stacey. :)

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.... :thumb: :wink:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree as well.
    My FF started a handful over a week ago, it's steadily getting bigger and I can feel kid movement....her exact due date at 145 days is on 2/10, standards tend to go from 150 to 160 so I would start watching her for sign of labor in 5-6 weeks. Also the majority of does will get an udderthat is noticeably larger just before they deliver...the exception are those few that wait til the day the deliver or shortly after.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its so much fun to watch a doe closely as she is pregnant -- you learn so much and if you journal about it then the next year you will have a better idea what to expect from that particular doe (or other does). Each doe will have their own pattern (that can vary from pregnancy to pregnancy but its fairly accurate to go by the previous pregnancy).

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is so nice to have those notes from one year to the next!! Peggy, being a new "expecting" goat mom, take notes on the changes each of your girls show and when, by the time their 2nd kidding with you comes along, you will have an idea as to when they will likely deliver or at least know what to expect from them the closer they get to their due dates.
    I have one doe that gets no udder...she feeds her kids very well but her udder is very close to her body and doesn't get bigger til the kids are 2-3 days old...and she's the only one that shows me no sign whatsoever! I can feed everyone and go back to the house for water, return to find her on the floor pushing! She's done her births twice this way...eats her dinner, then decides it's a good time to push out kids!