The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to sell my Nubian/Lamancha does, I got hurt again, giving one of them hoof trims... Thankfully not in the eye this time but in the arm. It take 40-50 minutes to do them because they kick etc.... The others I can do within 5 min or less.... So if I can't take care of an animal by myself (since it is pretty much just me and my 81 year old mom) then I need to sell them to someone who can... A friend who helped me with blood tests for testing used to own them and is buying them back, so I know they are going to a good home... A brighter note, I guess I'm looking for 2 doelings, ones I can train:)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well, how have you been tying them up when you are trimming? I find that tying them to the fence, then pinning them with your hip/butt to hold them still works very well. Two of my big Boer does, who hate having their back legs touched, fight for a bit then settle down. The trick is to hold on until they calm down, then trim. If you try to trim in between kicks, you're just going to end up getting hurt. You can even try tying them down in several places to hold them still better. This is for future trouble does ;)

I think it's a good decision to sell them, it's hard, but if you are getting hurt your safety comes first. Good thing they'll go to a good home!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried tying them up, but they are too tall to put in between my legs.., I've tried the milk stand, hobbles, tying legs to the post... My other goats, the hardest part is getting them on the stand, once on the stand yah they kick a few times but then they stop, or I have a few who like to lay down and just give me all 4's which I think is kinda funny, and nice, no kicking at all, that's actually what my sheep do too:) I'm sad, but relieved that they are going to a good home, no more fighting with them, and I get two new girls on the block..., I'm hoping for Alpine, to breed with an oberhasli buck:)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm sorry that you're having to sell your girls but glad that you found them a good home. That is always the hardest part.

Alpine Oberhasli is such a gorgeous blend. Its coming up on breeding season so hopefully you can even find one all ready bred. no muss no fuss :)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I had to tip my Lamancha to trim her, I grabbed the two far legs and flopped her to her side. It's the only way I could do it, stand was a no go, tying didn't work.

Sorry about this! Maybe if you can get a baby, you can teach them good manners. :)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to tip my Lamancha to trim her, I grabbed the two far legs and flopped her to her side. It's the only way I could do it, stand was a no go, tying didn't work.

Sorry about this! Maybe if you can get a baby, you can teach them good manners. :)
That is my hope, since all my others were bottle babies, and I have no troubles with them:)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Lol I agree that bottle babies are easier! I've trained my doeling since day one that it was OK for me to touch her anywhere I want. She just loves getting the attention lol...and trying to eat the handles of the clippers :p She's still little enough that all I have to do is put her on my lap and flip her on her side and she's good to go for all 4 hooves!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I found some kids already but I'm skeptical of one thing... She said they were weaned one is 8 weeks, and she is a mix of oberhasli, saanen, and Nubian... The other one is 5 weeks and is oberhasli... The 5 week old is weaned already? That is my skepticism.. However I got my oberhasli wethers at 1 month, and they were weaned, but I did start giving them 2 bottles a day when they came here, and they are healthy and happy:) They are coming from a clean herd too... What do you guys think...?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe so... I have to have enough room down at the barn, so I have to wait until Daisie and Rosie are picked up, (later this week) do a few adjustments to the pens, and then I can get these two, they will have their own little pen for awhile until they blend in with my kinders... I'm sending a check to her to reserve them, since it is 1.5 hours away. One has horns which I'm not too thrilled about, but I don't really mind my wethers having horns so it should be okay. I haven't seen pictures of these too yet, just what she had on CL...

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's hoping all goes well :)
Thanks, another option opened up with me keeping Daisie's kids. I'm hoping for girls, so I'll keep them until Daisie kids, and then after 2 weeks she will take Daisie and Rosie then I will bottle feed from there... I'm hoping for 2 doelings:) So I might not get the other ones, but I'm still waiting on a picture, so we will see if I just have to have them LOL:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I guess there is a bunch of them... I'm trying to decide to just get them, and to keep Daisie's kids too, and then if I needed to sell some I could... Kind of wondering if Daisie's kids will be too small for Charlie, so these will be okay to breed with him since he's oberhasli. Hmmmm, what to do.....?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Get them all!!!!

Ok. maybe that's not practical. I'm in a deciding phase too about another goat and this is what I want to do. "oh, you have 3(or 7 or 11) yes, I'll take them all". If I had the space that is exactly what I would do though. With little hesitation, ALL THE GOATS!

Do you have the space? If so, why not get them all?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Lol Amy! That's my thinking ;) I'm going to have such a hard time selling any babies I might get from my does...KEEP ALL THE GOATS! My parents will not be happy lol.

I think it's a great idea to get those kids, then see what comes out of Daisy, and sell if needed. It covers all your bases, and you get more goats! :D

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well Amy only 2 of those are doelings... So I won't be "getting" them all:) I think I am still getting them. There is a question in my mind if Daisie is truly pregnant too. She has been carrying the same belly since the middle of March... The lady buying them bobbed for kids, and I felt something move too.... but we didn't have a blood test done.... Since Daisie was bred to a kinder buck, her kids might not be big enough to breed with Charlie who is an Oberhasli...... So I wanna make sure he has someone to breed with, but that won't be until next February unfortunately since I wanna make sure they are not too young to breed:)

I do have room with a few arrangements it can be done...:) Thanks for the encouragement guys, because I'm not getting much from my family...:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts