The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys do it??? My heart is breaking!:( I was good tho, I didn't cry when I helped put them in the crate. The lady promised to keep in touch with me, I hope she does. But I'm not sure if that will help or only make it worse. :confused:

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:pray::pray:I hope it's a good home and that if they have any problems they will actually call me, I told her to keep in touch.... but you never know if they will or not.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I am so glad I don't get attached to my goats the way I do to my horses. DOnt get me wrong, I love my goats, and I do have a few does that I would cry about selling (they aren't for sale lol) but I was so happy to sell my babies this year, and am so looking forward to it next year too! The way I look at it, as long as I sell them, I can keep having more adorable babies born the next year and enjoy watching them grow up a while :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Haha i just told my dad that the other day. That im glad i raise goats instead of colts because i would never be able to sell my horses lol.

·
14,760 Posts
Yep, always heartbreaking :( It's great when they go to a great new home. But very heartbreaking when you have to take them to auction and don't know what their future will be. So be glad your babies went to a good home :)
We breed so that my kids can have 4-H goats, and anything extra that isn't sold has to go to auction - that help's the goats pay for themselves.

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I swore I wouldn't get attached either... oops .. that didn't work! :( At this point in time I don't think I will be breeding them this fall.. I don't think I can do this again! :tears: My girls better just stay in milk forever now!

Dang it, I will have to do it again anyway this year, I still have 3 bucklings that must be sold and that still leaves me with way too many goats! :eek:

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
we spend so much time with our babies to be sure they are friendly, we get pretty attached...its hard...but knowing that keeping them all is not an option..and the cash in hand helps us keep the ones we have...tht lessens the sting a little..

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
The way that I can deal with sales is that I'm picky about where my kids go AND I also reason with myself that it is just "me, myself and I" that takes care of my goats, I enjoy my time spent with them and having more than I can handle would just not be fair to them, I love the milk my girls give and I know that I can't get that milk without having kids born.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I really don't get super attached to all the goats we have to get rid of. I don't like selling them, but if they get a good home, I'm fine with it-especially if we're keeping some. :) I really don't know why I don't get attached; I think it must be partly because we once had to get rid of a dog we had that would NOT ever stop barking all night long every night (this was before we had goats, or any other animals, so she was probably lonely :/) She was my sister's dog, but we all loved her, probably more since she was pretty much the only animal around (other than a wild cat). Anyway, I was pretty upset when she went away, and I think something in me just doesn't want to go thought that again. I think it would take a special animal for me to commit to loving it that much now.

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we spend so much time with our babies to be sure they are friendly, we get pretty attached...its hard...but knowing that keeping them all is not an option..and the cash in hand helps us keep the ones we have...tht lessens the sting a little..
Yup! That's pretty much it! Spending so much time with them to make them friendly... guess I accomplished my mission. She wanted the first one to come up to her and that was my boy Chester (yeah stop naming them too!). I was hoping she'd take his brother because Chester has so much more character! She also took his sister too. Ellie Mae... she was a little stand-offish for awhile, kind of skittish even, but I started working with her and she became a sweetheart over night.

You're also right that I cannot possibly keep all these goats. Now if I could win the lottery :chin:....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts