im so sad think we have CL

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by luvbug*diapers, Apr 5, 2010.

1. luvbug*diapers

luvbug*diapers New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    Has anyone delt with Caseous Lymphadenitis.
    our 3 yr old nubian has a lump on here jaw just below her ear.
    I consider it a hard lump.
    My first thought was it is a full abscess but did not feel like a regular abscess(like it was in a pocket) and when i was unable to find a pucture hole i was confussed and started searching for an answer on th internet.

Now these are our first goats and all equipment is new.
    so im stumped at how she could have contracted such a desease.

If pictures would help id be happy to go take some.

Im afarid to lance and drain it now knowing i could contaiminate the herd.

If it is CL what do you all think is best?
    Is there a cure?
    euthinize or give her to someone that needs a weedeater?

also when i first bought her she coughed a lot and i remember doing research on lumg worm thinking it was odd since the others did not do it.with the coughing and now the lump i fear the worst.

Im so sad, she is the reason i bought this set of does.
    so beautiful and gentle.

Im going today to pick up a wormer just in case she has worms.
    but shows no other signs that she does.weight,attitude,hair and stool all good.

did fecal on one of them and the count was low

any ideas for tx would be great but i fear the worst for this doe.

2. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    You might want to talk to a vet and have her tested. There are other things that can cause abscesses. Hopefull it isn't CL.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    have a vet lance it and send the gunk for testing -- that will let you know exactly what it is. :hug:

4. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I would lance it and send it to the lab. I would also keep her separated from your other goats.

5. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    thank you all.
    ill go seperate her right now in case that thing blows.
    renee

6. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    The same thing happened to one of my friends last year. A couple of her goats had a persistant cough. She tried everything possible...Rx's, worming...etc. Finally after six months one of them developed a lump on the back of one of her back legs. We lanced it and sure enough it was CL.

Is there any hair over the lump? Could you take a pic and post it? Keeping or destroying the goat is solely up to you. You need to think about what purpose you have the goats for and base your decision on those reasons.

Just because they have a cough and developed a lump doesn't necessarily mean it's CL. I really hope it's not :hug: Think positive :wink:

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    There are many, many things that can cause an abscess on the face.... straw... weeds... it doesn't take much. For Safety sake I would take her to the vet asap... have him/her lance it and send in the fluid for testing. I wouldn't wait in case it is CL because if it ruptures on your property... your property will be contaminated and it takes years for CL to die off on the ground. I wouldn't worry too much yet though... like I said... sooo many things can cause an abscess.... especially on their face. :hug:

8. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    thank you for the encouragement on this.
    I have a call out to the vet and have her seperated.
    Im praying that she is fine and the test will come back negative.
    renee

9. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    oh man that stinks.
    there is hair over the lump.
    ill get couple of pictures and see what ya think.
    renee

10. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    Re: im so sad think we have CL-pictures added

here are a few pictures for you goat lovers.
    see if they fit the profil of CL.
    thank you
    renee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

goats are so curious

renee

11. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    can one do this themself?
    like send things to a lab?
    im confortable doing it but not sure if we can just send stuff in.
    sure it would lower the cost then having a vet come and do it.

renee

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    While it might be CL, the location is also indictive of a tooth abscess. Most CL abscess's loose the hair covering them.

13. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Yes you can send the sample in yourself. I use WADDL for most of my tests.
    I agree with Crocee. CL lumps usually have no hair, especially at the size of your does lump.

14. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    If you can take her to the vet it would not only be cheaper, but the lancing would not happen on your property, which would be a good thing. If you do it on your property, do it somewhere where you know you will never have any goats ever again. I don't know if other livestock gets it.

I had a doeling with a lump that looked like CL but turned out to be a saliva pocket, I guess this isn't likely for an adult, but that is one more thing it can be. I still had to get rid of her because I couldn't drain it every month, as it was going to need, but that's how I got my wonderful nubian Tsu, who is her sister.

Jan

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have the vet see her ....it might not be CL at all..... if it is a tooth problem... the vet can treat her..... besides if you feel uncomfortable dealing with it yourself it is best to let the vet take a look see..... also you can have the vet keep a sample of the fluid... and have it sent in ...to test for CL..... just for GP.... to ease your mind... if it is not.. :wink: :hug:

16. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yes please take her in & have the vet draw out the contents if you dont feel comfortable about doing it yourself.
    Last yr had a doe with large lump on her neck. A freind came out & drew out a sample. Sent it to WADDL where results showed staph & e coli; consistent with a wound poked by something with manure on it. No CL.
    Please dont do anything drastic until you know for sure.
    Meantime a good idea to seperate her. Hugs, I know how difficult this is until you get definite results. :hug:

17. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Nothing really useful to say but *hugs* to you, and good thoughts that she turns out to be okay.

18. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    There is a vaccine for CL now. Does anyone use it?

19. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    the vaccine is standard practice in Australia, it works very very well. Hugs and all the above advice is correct, if it does turn out to be CL please dont think you have to euthanase your lovely doe, it can be eradicated and controlled with a good vaccine and hygiene program.

20. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    The thing about the CL vac is that if you give it to a healthy goat they will test positive for CL , but if you give it to just the goats who have it can control it.
    So with the vac. and good management (ie a pen just for does that start to have lumps that is easy scubable) you can have CL in your herd with out a lot of danger to others.