The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new billy and have been keeping my little billy and wether in the same pen and keeping the girls separate. Today, I had my 2 1/2 yr old Queenie in with the billy. I put the wether in the pen and went to get queenie out and he hit her hard. Where they were she couldn't get away quick enough... She fell to the ground and her right front leg, OMG I thought he broke it the way it was distorted and she couldn't get up and I was freaking inside. She had her horns stuck in the fence. I got her horns out and held my breath and picked her up to stand and she got up. OMG the site of her in that state I started crying. She could have been injured bad. She is okay tho. She did not make a sound.

I'm at a loss. I put the billy in another enclosure so he can see the girls but still be separate (as he cries when he is alone). The wether, I'm so angry, I'm leaving him in the other pen and he will be alone. He can see the others in the further away pen. I don't know if I should just get rid of him as one on one, he is a sweetheart to me, but he is a bully around the girls.
I know that a billy and wether can be housed together, but I don't want to take the risk of something happening to the little billy.

Can I keep that wether by himself? He is more protecting me it seems and claiming me and keeping me away from the others.
I don't know if I should just pay more attention and tie him up away from everyone else before feeding and taking care of the rest to keep him away from everybody else.

I need help.. this was a wake up call. All the girls get alone great and no one fights over food or anything...except when the wether is around, it's chaos.

·
14,615 Posts
Oh dear what a scare!
My wether is seperate. He can see everyone. For awhile I put our new buck at 9 mos old with him but since wether outweighed him by about 200# & establishing heirchy I put buck in another area with an old doe.
During breeding season a wether is just going to get in the way of a buck doing his job.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I had to harvest my wether for similar reasons, he caused trouble wherever he was. We couldn't keep him with the babies because he'd bully the babies. Couldn't keep him with the does because he'd constantly challenge them and make them fight. Couldn't keep him with the bucks because for months on end he screamed to be back with the does and was teaching the bucklings bad behavior. I felt horrible as he was a pet to my little sister, but it had to be done.

At this point, I would personally retain a gentler wether, maybe one of your favorite little wethers from this year, to be a buddy for your buck. I wish I could send you my Little Guy! He is the sweetest natured little goat I've ever known.

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a friend with a very very timid gentle "buck"... amazing. I wonder why this wether is that way.. I may have to get rid of him..

I had to harvest my wether for similar reasons, he caused trouble wherever he was. We couldn't keep him with the babies because he'd bully the babies. Couldn't keep him with the does because he'd constantly challenge them and make them fight. Couldn't keep him with the bucks because for months on end he screamed to be back with the does and was teaching the bucklings bad behavior. I felt horrible as he was a pet to my little sister, but it had to be done.

At this point, I would personally retain a gentler wether, maybe one of your favorite little wethers from this year, to be a buddy for your buck. I wish I could send you my Little Guy! He is the sweetest natured little goat I've ever known.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
Im so sorry....I bet that knocked the wind out of both of you poor gal...Sounds like the wether has no respect or bounderies and sounds like trouble in the waiting. I guess it all depends on what he is needed for and how attached you are to him...if he is a bully and doesnt earn his keep and you are not super attached..rehomeing might be simpler than him taking up a pen to himself and you having to feed him....

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes and I thought he broke her leg the way it was twistes. I love him but I can't let him dominate my heard.. I just sent a text to a friend and said I need to get rid of him..

Im so sorry....I bet that knocked the wind out of both of you poor gal...Sounds like the wether has no respect or bounderies and sounds like trouble in the waiting. I guess it all depends on what he is needed for and how attached you are to him...if he is a bully and doesnt earn his keep and you are not super attached..rehomeing might be simpler than him taking up a pen to himself and you having to feed him....

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I had a issue kinda like that with my buck just a few days ago. I sold the older buck :( so he is now THE MAN and thinks that he can abuse the girls when it comes to food and would lay there and guard it. I stood out there for 2 days to guard the girls and in 111 that gets old fast. I got my dogs shock collar and put it on him, went in the house and watched out the window, as soon as he went to slam the doe I nailed him. I only did it once and he is a total lover to his girls now. The shock collar works good since they dont think you had anything to do with it, I have even used it one of my best does that kept jumping the fence, that took 3 times and she has never done it again. Just a thought if you really do want to keep that wether.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I have a friend with a very very timid gentle "buck"... amazing. I wonder why this wether is that way.. I may have to get rid of him..
Two of my bucks are very gentle, kind souls. The other is a pip and full of himself, but still a softie at heart. ;) All of my wethers this year have been wonderful as well, it's just personality. :(

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
My wether Teddy is exactly like that... wonderful and sweet with me but a total jerk when housed with bucks or does... he was wethered at 2 years old because this behavior was not something I wanted passed onto kids. He was extremely agressive as a buck towards the other boys.
EVERYTHING within Teddy's sight is HIS... feed, hay water etc., I have he and 2 pet does together and they have 3 shelters because he doesn't share and I have water buckets a good distance apart as well as 5 different areas for hay.

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
Freezer camp may be a good option for him. Then you don't have to worry about him hurting others or being neglected/abused because he is a pain.

·
Goat Grandma
105 Posts
We don't keep wethers, but my husband and I went to clip one of our older bucks last week, who is very hard to handle. He got so mad at being tied up and clipped, that he butted my husband really hard twice in the leg, leaving a big bruise and hematoma. We've never had a buck (standard or ND) do that and this will be the last time.

We're just waiting for him to be picked up and he'll make some real nice burritos for someone. :( Highly suggest you send your wether packing too. :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yep get rid of him,put him in the freezer.I never keep wethers and I don't sell them on either as you know they only end up lonely or on the end of a tether neglected and open for dog attack!I hate to say this but if I don't get a firm order for a pedigree buck we nock them at birth.The cost of rearing is not worth it,teejae

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
That is not true. I put a 6 year old Boer doe in the freezer and was just careful how we cooked the meat. Turned out nice and tender. The other option is to have all ground meat done. Then you don't have to worry about tenderness.

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, that's just what I was told... I don't think I can eat goat...not after knowing my that they are living creatures w/personalities.... plus it's too expensive ($250 to butcher one)

That is not true. I put a 6 year old Boer doe in the freezer and was just careful how we cooked the meat. Turned out nice and tender. The other option is to have all ground meat done. Then you don't have to worry about tenderness.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Yikes, scary:( I don't really know what I would do. I have 2 wether oberhasli goats, and 2 wether sheep with my kinder buck, and ober buckling... all together and I haven't had a problem. They are about 300 ' apart and they can't see the does:) My buck appears more relaxed:) That would freak me out, I think I would have been hysterical too. Glad she is okay.

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you.. I froze and just cried I didn't know what to do... I was hoping that if I rolled her over and up she would get up and yes she did... I'm getting rid of him tomorrow... He will only get worse he's 2 and with me he's fine, just too possessive.

Yikes, scary:( I don't really know what I would do. I have 2 wether oberhasli goats, and 2 wether sheep with my kinder buck, and ober buckling... all together and I haven't had a problem. They are about 300 ' apart and they can't see the does:) My buck appears more relaxed:) That would freak me out, I think I would have been hysterical too. Glad she is okay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts