I'm sorry little one

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Epona142, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I lost little Baby Ninja today.

It was so fast I didn't even have a chance to come here for help. She was apparently fine, hiding in the barn this morning. It was rainy and cold so I thought nothing of her laying with the two two doelings. I'm sorry for not noticing you weren't feeling good little one..

Went out a couple hours later and found her down. I tried everything to get her temperature back up but it was just too late. She died in my arms just now.

I'm guessing hypoglycemia? Perhaps she didn't eat because of the disgusting change in weather and I recently weaned her from the bottle..

I'm sorry little one. I've failed, again.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry :hug:

Don't blame yourself, you wouldn't have weaned her if she wasn't eating real food right? I'm sure this was something you had no control over :hug:

3. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    :hug: I am so, so sorry... this brought tears to my eyes. :tears: Please don't feel like you've failed... we have all been there... sometimes there's nothing you can do. At least you were there holding her when she passed -- it is so sad that you lost her, but she died knowing she was loved... :hug:

4. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I appreciate guys...I'm really crying my eyes out. This is so hard, this was the first (and probably only ever..) bottle baby I had.

I hate this, I hate it so much. I feel like just the WORST failure ever. I've lost so many in just a couple of years from one thing or another and it makes me sick to my stomach. I'm frustrated beyond belief.

I'm still worried about the other two junior doelings, but they seem to be fine...I just don't know. I don't know how to handle this.

5. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    :hug: again.

When I first started raising chickens, I lost 20 one-month-old babies overnight to a fox attack, and it was totally my fault... bad coop design. I know it is not the same as losing a bottle baby, but I had handled these chicks every day since birth, woken up in the middle of the night to check on their temperatures, etc. And I had even tucked my favorite pet chick in the night before she was killed, moving her from the top level of the coop (where she might have survived) to the EXACT SPOT the fox dug. The fox took her body but left her wing behind. I have never felt like a bigger failure... I cried for weeks and I can STILL get tears in my eyes from thinking about it. And this is over chickens!!

Anyway, long story but my point is... I really feel for you. :hug: It's ok to cry it out, but just try and remember that the very fact that you're crying means that the doeling you lost has had a better life than most, because she was truly loved! And obviously you care, so by definition, even with making mistakes, you are doing more good than harm. And it doesn't even sound like you made a mistake in this case. One of the hardest things about goats, chickens, etc., is how quickly they can be gone. You gave this little one the best chance she had... as she was a bottle baby, she wouldn't have even made it this far on her own... so try and remember you are NOT a bad goat mama!

6. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh, oh, oh -- I am so sorry! Don't blame yourself -- things just happen and often we never know why. hugs.

7. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so very sorry... for your loss... it is never easy.... you have not failed at all ...sometimes ... there is nothing that we could do different to change the outcome... :hug: :(

9. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I am very sorry for your loss-it's so heartbreaking everytime. :(

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you guys...it really crushed me. I was so worried about America and Isis and their recent ongoing issues that little Baby caught me really off guard. It was just a really hard blow.

I brought Isis and America inside and put the heat lamp on the adults...this weather is seriously the worst. We're at 39 degrees now, when yesterday we were in the 70's.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wow thats heart breaking I dont know what to say :hug:

and the crazy weather wow, how irritating that must be for you. I know we experience varied temps but I think our goats are use to it because its fairly normal.

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh wow, sounds like the weather down there changes every 5 minutes, it does cause alot of problems.. :hug: dont blame yourself, these things happen. :hug:

13. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    So, so sorry for your loss. :hug:

14. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you everyone...it was really hard this morning when she didn't come running to the fence, crying for me..

America and Isis are still inside, because even though the sun is out, the wind is blowing really hard and I'd rather sweep poop every ten minutes than have them get sick again.

15. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    My condolences. :rose:

Deb Mc

16. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

So Sorry for you're loss. :( She was super cute. :cry: :hug:

17. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Epona, I am so sorry to hear about this. That is my worst nightmare! Dont be hard on yourself. It could happen to all of us on any given day.

And I agree about this weather. It is so terrible right now!

18. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you guys. It's still really hard. I guess it never really goes away.