I'm starting to freak already, 3 wks to kidding...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Cinder, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I've been involved in dog, cat, chinchilla, ferret, cattle and llama birthing... never have I been nervous or overly concerned about any of them. I am actually getting antsy (not in a good way) about my first ever upcoming kid births. She's due the end of January or first week of February (so I was told when I got her). I cannot believe that this is weighing on me so much - I think it's because I've heard several horror stories lately of problem goat births.

Can you all just go over everything that I need to have in place NOW and for the first few weeks after birth so I'm sure that at least I have all that ready?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    go to fiascofarm.com and go through their kidding area. Watch the videos, read, look at the list of supplies they have. It really helps!

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Heres a link to the kidding supplies in the kidding corral viewtopic.php?f=16&t=354

It has lists of everything needed....and of course you should always have a number for a vet, just in case. I do know how you feel, and try not to stress too much. Your doe will let you know when it's time and even more so if she really needs you. We are all here for support.

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Cinder your does will probably do just fine. Allison gave you some great info.
    Just keep reading and force yourself not to worry. You know it wont do any good anyway!
    We will all be here if you need help.
    Gotta say the 3rd season was the best. Why? Cause I didnt worry at all!! Two of them kidded outside...I had had enough cleaning out kidding pens for a week yrs past....last time some kidded outside, then brought them in the stall when she was done.
    Other than that they had plenty minerals prior and more excersise.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Well, goats seem to be one of the easiest births i've dealt with. I'm sure they'll do great! Yeah, definately check out that website Allison linked...lotsa good info. on there.

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Thanks for your support guys. I've already spent hours and hours on FiascoFarm ... I love that website and rereading my books. I think part of the issue is that I'm a "visual" learner... I love to read but I learn better by hands on with someone else showing me things instead of just reading things. So, I can read till I'm blue in the face (and I have with this) but still feel inadequate because I'm so visual. I also know that part of the 'deep concern' I have is that I don't know for sure when this first doe is due. She doesn't look big enough to be due in three to four weeks as I was told.

She's in an inside stall every night and inside/outside stall during the days. The actual kidding stall will be done this weekend (hopefully) so I'm freaking that she will give birth before I can get her in there at night AND I will be keeping her wether brother with her until I think she's going into labor as he's a huge comfort to her. But, what if she has kids and he's in there with her? And, she's with another Nubian doe all the time right now also, should I move that doe to the other goat pen now or wait? Argh.... :hair:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As a first time "goat mom" I can see your frustration. If you have seen her udder develop over the last few weeks and you still don't think she could be due when you were told, wait a week and check her udder daily, you will see changes as she gets closer. Most does will give you advanced notice as to when they start labor, so go by the due date you were given and the day she would hit 145 would be the day I would be doing checks on her more than once a day, you seem to really know her personality and believe me, you will know when she is ready to be by herself. My does that are close to their due dates are put into the kidding stalls 2-3 days before they hit 145, they do get out daily to be with the others but they spend the nights in the stalls, I also have a baby moniter above them so that I can hear any changes in breathing, activity etc. Activity meaning that at 9 at night when all should be bedded down and I hear pawing and digging in bedding, I can go and check the doe and hope that she is nesting for babies in a few hours.

As far as her buddy being with her should she deliver unexpectedly, as long as they are not crowded and she has a corner by herself I don't think there will be a problem, I had a FF deliver unexpectedly last February in the common area with another doe and her twins with her, no problems.

I know it is easier said than done but don't let what you have read scare you, instead let it inform you as to what " could" happen....90% of births go without any problems at all and even the ones that don't go as planned are even "natural" just as Mother Nature intended.

If you could, post a pic of your doe, rear, udder and side shot, it would give us all an idea of when she will go.....and you'll have the benefit of so many of us predicting how many babies you will have to snuggle when they arrive.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have had many goats give birth in the middle of the pen with everyone around. FF and seasoned Freshners - I wouldn't worry to much about that!!! I have also had ones in a kidding pen with a friend and they kidded - and the "friend" was on the other side of the pen with their eyes bugged out like what in the heck just happened.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would leave everyone together. If she is comforted by the wether and he seems cool with it while she is in labor then I would leave them together. I only separate mine while they are in active labor and then they go out with everyone else again. I also let my junior does stay in with senior does when they are kidding so they know what to expect... maybe?.... when it happens to them.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hey Cinder, If you are ever really worried and it is by any stroke of luck you can always call me and i will come over to help you. we are not far apart at all.

I am sure you and she will be just fine. Please you can call me when ever you need if you just want to talk while she is in labor. :hug: Most of us have all been there nad we know what you are going through. Sometimes it is nice just to talk to someone so you know every thing is going fine. I have a friend in Gunnison I call if I just need to talk while they are in labor.

My doe Topaz that just kidded on Sunday, she had them in the middle of the horse stall, it really is amazing how the others will leave them alone while they are in labor, and after wards.

11. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Thanks again you all. I really can't believe that I'm this uptight about this... I'm not normally that type of person at all.

Lori - you have no idea how much your offer means to me. Just knowing that you are available by phone is a big relief and help to me.

I'd love to meet you so my doe may just have "problems" ... ya know? :ROFL: Just kidding. :)

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats awesome that Lori is so close to you! I don't have that luxury at all it's just me and my girls and knowing the "emergency vet #"