I'm taking the plunge

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by redsticker, Oct 29, 2009.

1. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    I sent in my official reservation (ie: $$$$$) for two breedings at Rosasharn:

Rosasharn's P Pennsylvania 4*D, 4*M , VEEA 84 x Rosasharn's TL Galaxy *S E, ++B VEE and Rosasharn UMT Painted Lady 5 *D, 5*M x Rosasharn GX Ringo Star

I'm super nervous... I'm hoping for either doe/doe or doe/buck. Anne has first doe pick on Painted Lady so I'll be sending twin doe vibes all winter. As goat crazy as I am right now, I'm not ready and this will give me time to fix up the fences, the barn, get all the supplies, find a hay dealer, a goat vet, join clubs... and hopefully find a mentor. ;)

I know it's way early, but I need to tell someone and yall are the only ones who understand goat craziness. My family is going to have a fit when they find out I'm getting goats shipped here from across the country. I'm not buying from her top does, but I'm definitely spending what my family considers a bug chunk of change. And that's just for two goats. I still have to get a couple whethers too.

I dunno. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that I haven't gone completely berserk. ;) And maybe some advice on how/what to get ready before spring. ;)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    congrats on your reservations :cool:

you maybe nuts but so are the rest of us :help:

3. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I think you should get the goats you want if you can afford them. I won't tell you what I've paid for some of my poultry, you'd probably drop your teeth! LOL

4. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I agree- the best thing you can do for your herd and the breed is to buy the best goats you can afford :)

I spent more this year on goats than I thought I ever would :help: I never thought I would be spending that kind of money on a goat when we first started- but this year alone we have several purchases over the $700 mark. They better turn out good is all I have to say! :slapfloor:

5. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    Congratulations!

As a word of caution be sure to save up a little extra also cause they are not kidding when they say prices are subject to change. When I reserved my Bit-O-Honey X Galaxy son the breeding was listed for $650 and by the time he was born he was $800! My Bit-a-Lilly son also went up from $800-$900 by the time he was born so they typically do raise the prices even after the reservation is made. Have a friend from OR who had to cancel her reservation because she couldn't pay the increased price.

Shannon

6. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Just wait goat madness grows on you. You have done the right thing. If you can afford top blood lines go for it as it is money well spent. Family is family not goat ranchers :ROFL:

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I dont mind spening some big bucks on quality stock. I feel you get what you pay for.
    Shannon I dont think thats right. If you reserve A kid at a price he should remain that price. Now if the kid is not reserved i fell its ok to be subject to change. But When you send a deposit on a kid you look at the price right off the bat. Its not right for the breeder to jack it up after the fact even if the doe does great. We make reservations for a reason....Just my opinion i guess. But as a breeder i keep my reserved prices where i quote them when the person reserves the kid.
    beth

8. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    Totally agree Beth! We have the same policy here. I wouldn't even consider price changes of something reserved so we were kinda shocked.
    I do like the Rosasharn animals but don't agree with this part of it. Have seen others disapointed when they also found this out and then they couldn't afford the kid after they waited and didn't make a reservation someplace else.
    We purchased that last buck and decided that would be the last.

Shannon

9. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    Well, then I might just be making a deposit with Lost Valley, too. lol Ah! I need more money!

That's what I'm saying! :ROFL: I mean, I know they can't guarantee anything but I'm going to feel like such an idiot if they turn out to be complete duds. ;)

10. WOW!!!! Seriously I had noooo idea people spent this much money on goats! :shocked: Don't get me wrong I do love the little critters. But WOW!!!! Maybe after I win the lottery. :scratch:

11. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    Lol, I know... but I'm looking at it as an investment. If I start with the best I can afford, they will hopefully do well in the ring, milk tests and in passing it on to their babies. I know I won't make a ton of profit, but I've heard it's harder and can bee more expensive to work your way up to making show quality animals (raising, feeding, culling, etc.) than it is to save up money for a couple of starters.

I'm just nervous that something will go wrong. So I went ahead and sent in a reservation to Lost Valley, too. Lacey x Malachi and Vera x Mercury. I'm tired so I can't do the links right now, lol. But I think at this point, the worst thing that could happen is for everything to go right... then I'll have 4 kids to choose from and not enough money for all of them. ;) I don't even know how to get the kids from LV to SE La but it was worth a shot, even if it is second choice on both.

Edit: actually, the worst thing would be no goats for another year ... I'm an impatient person so this is bugging me. ;) I want to start my herd and I had my head set on senior does, but I can't afford the show quality does. So I have to take my chances on the babies and just wait the extra time it takes to raise them, show them and hope they turn out right.

12. Well I wish you the best of luck!!! :) I guess I didn't realize the exspense of the show quality goats. We just got ours for fun, and to hopefully do 4-H with. I don't plan on showing for now, but you never know what the future holds.(maybe when the kids are grown and I have nothing better to do?) :shrug:

13. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    It is usually worth it to spend the extra. It dosen't cost any more to feed and maintain a $50 goat as it does to feed and maintain a $1000 goat.

Be sure to get an extra kid to ride along with the main one you are buying because for me for some reason that is the one that has always turned out the best. Years ago my Mom purchased a doeling out of MCH Tiny Bubbles from Twin Creeks and she didn't want to ship her all alone so I purchased another doeling that happened to be born around the same time out of a first freshener for $350. She was cute and had pretty gold spots, good enough. Anyway once they grew up and got udders my doe was always the show winner over Mom's doe. MCH Twin Creeks BW Shining Sand ended up being our first permanent champion who would have thought! Same thing happened when we purchased two kids together from Sugar Creek.

Shannon

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Since you mentioned shipping two together, I contacted Twin Creeks about reserving a buck and doe and found out that airlines are not shipping two in the same kennel anymore? I was pretty bummed. . . she said that most of the major airlines will only ship one kid in one kennel. :shrug:

15. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    Well, that might change everything... It might be cheaper to drive to San Antonio than have two shipped separately from MA. I guess we'll have to see how it goes.

I love Twin Creeks, too. I wish they had reservations open this year. I always keep an eye out on their breeding does for sale because they really do offer quality animals for decent prices. They have a cute little doe available now for $200 that I want to buy but since we're not ready yet, I know I'll be kicking myself in the pants for that one. Someone on here needs to go buy her. ;) She's tiny but so cute. I like her parents. Comes with a whether too!

I have two reservations with both, so that way I'm not putting all my hopes on just one. But it's still a little nerve racking... I feel like an expectant mother. Stressing out over things not under my control. :hair: It's gonna be a long winter, but at least I can live vicariously through yall! :drool:

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    American Airlines allows two kids per kennel as long as their weight does not exceed the max and they have enough room to turn around in. I think that Continental and possible AlaskaAir allow two per kennel as well but I can't say for certain. My buck Yogi was shipped by himself and he didn't have a problem :shrug:

Congrats on the reservations redsticker, very nice animals :)

17. ProctorHillFarm

I know when I was looking at shipping kids from PromisedLand- they used to be able to put two kids in a crate- but the airline was no longer allowing that- no exceptions.
    So I think it varies by airline
    I forget what airline it is- I had mine groundshipped for a lot less than it would have been to fly them in seperate crates.

18. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    Anne at Rosasharn says she uses American Airlines so hopefully I can still get two at a time. Shipping would go from about $300+ to $600+ which would be a deal breaker. :cry:

Ground shipping? Explain please. :shrug:

19. ProctorHillFarm

I would give American Airlines a call and see what they say, better to know now, then when the kids arrive at the airport!
    Ground shipping is using a hauler that ships with a trailer or van, etc.
    I usually find a ride on a horse trailer, and they dont mind using one of the stalls in the trailer for the goats, but I have also used people that solely use their vehicles to transport (alot of folks transporting dogs and cats this way) that will take the goats too.
    You can go to Uship and post a quote and see what you get back. The best rate you will get is a fill rate- which means they are already making a trip through the area and would like to fill their space up in their trailer to make the trip most profitable for them.

I just ground shipped in three goats (two adults and a kid) from MN for $300 total

20. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    UPDATE!

Ok, so Lacey (2009 AGS National Best Udder) from Lost Valley was one of the does I had a reservation on. On a whim, instead of just a doe reservation I did doe or buck. So guess what? She had three bucks! I'm a bit worried... and still trying to convince my hubby that $650 for a buck when we have no does is a good investment. :shrug: I didn't really plan on having a buck right away, but should I pass up a chance to have one that will pass on that beautiful udder?

I'm still waiting to hear about the three other reservations from Lost Valley and Rosasharn. I'm scared all I'll have are bucks!!! :GAAH: Lol. Anyways. So yeah. I just wanted to share how excited I was that the first of what may be my first goat herd have been born.