The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a nervous wreck. I have one more doe to kid. Today is the due date the vet gave. Everybody else went 2-4 days early. I had 5 does. I sold two in late may after breeding because we are downsizing and a woman who was taking our milk customers wanted them. I just learned they both delivered quads - 4 days early!

Even though the vet told us Myrrh had one, I have been expecting triplets because of her size. She had triplets last time she freshened, and she is definitely that big. This is only her second freshening. Now I'm afraid she has quads, which is just making it worse...

I have been checking her every 2 hours for a few days. Her bag is getting bigger, she seems to have a swollen vulva, her tail is turned down. She looks miserable. It is hot here - 88 presently, but had been mostly 90s lately.

She has had 6 doses of selenium in the last 8 days. 3 of selenium & vitamin E and 3 Replamin.

I can see movement. She's got at least one doing gymnatics. I can't tell if it is because of contractions...she is constantly putting her head to that side with the movement, mostly just rubbing her nose on it...and maybe listening?

I'm not sure what to do or when to intervene. Snowflake's experience is making me crazy with this one!

https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/new-kid-weak-and-cold-help.207589/

I'm afraid I have another stillborn blocking traffic, but I don't know how to determine that. And i might just be paranoid.

Any suggestions?

@mariarose @Trollmor @toth boer goats
@Goats Rock

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Each doe will go when they are ready just like a human. You said nothin about any goo... so i am assuming no goo. No goo=no babies yet.

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
There is no possible way the vet can know exactly when they will kid. It is a guess. So unless you did hand breeding and you know exactly what day the breeding happened, you don't have a due date.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
There is no possible way the vet can know exactly when they will kid. It is a guess. So unless you did hand breeding and you know exactly what day the breeding happened, you don't have a due date.
Yep. That's what I was thinkin'. The thing that stumped me was all the others were earlier than the due dates...does selenium deficiency make them go earlier?

Oh, this doe also aborted last year, and was super overweight during breeding (she ate like we were milking her. Lol). I'm wondering if that made a difference.

Ok. So the general gist I'm getting is I'm paranoid. I'll try to chillax, but that sweet doe out there, that is softly groaning on occasion, needs some babies soon!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Each doe will go when they are ready just like a human. You said nothin about any goo... so i am assuming no goo. No goo=no babies yet.
Thank you! I had starting equating goo with the bag/water breaking, which doesn't always happen. Thank you for reminding me there is a difference. That was really helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Thank you! I had starting equating goo with the bag/water breaking, which doesn't always happen. Thank you for reminding me there is a difference. That was really helpful.
Goo is stringy that hangs on. The bag of waters is like a flush of water. Two very different things.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Goo is stringy that hangs on. The bag of waters is like a flush of water. Two very different things.
I'm a L&D nurse. You'd think I could remember that. (doh) I just needed the reminder. I'll stop hovering. Maybe then she'll go. :waiting:

Thanks for being my sounding boards, guys!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you had 2 go early, then you are due for one to go late. Law of some statistic or other... Averages. Law of Averages.
:heehee:
Point taken. We've had lots of storms. The last two went before or during a storm. The nurse in me keeps expecting Myrrh to do the same thing. But you are right. No point in expecting anything from mother nature. She's not predictable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I'm seeing goo. How long is reasonable to let her go before I check for a tail or other problems? Do some progress pretty slow? I can be patient. I just don't want her to suffer unnecessarily.

@Sfgwife

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Ok, I'm seeing goo. How long is reasonable to let her go before I check for a tail or other problems? Do some progress pretty slow? I can be patient. I just don't want her to suffer unnecessarily.

@Sfgwife
Goo will start as clearish white, clear then go to amber. Amber is near baby time. Pushin hard more than thirty minutes and no progress i think is the time to fret. I think. They can labor for a good while before pushin starts. Be patient.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Encourage movement and stretching. That helps position babies.

I've seen goo a week before delivery, and also an hour before delivery. Just sayin'

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She seems to get up and move around frequently. I'm just a worry wart. Goo is still clear. Stated at 5:00 this morning (first I saw) it is 10:00 here now. The supply box is ready. Goat room is clean and ready. Fresh hay in the corner, new fly strips posted overhead. Now it is a waiting game. :waiting:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I
But.. also a few hours!
:upset:
I know. Every mamma does her own thing. This sweet doe had triplets without us two years ago. We went out to milk and 2 of the three were out. One had her nose in water so it was good that it was milking time. I'm just paranoid and hovering this time. She waited long enough that she has had the full 5 day loading dose of Replamin. That makes me feel a little better.

She hasn't been eating much, but she just inhaled 2 large cabbage leaves out of my hand, so that also makes me feel better. Don't know what's in those that she needed, but she got it, whatever it was!

Goo is definitely amber, but I don't feel like we are any closer. I'm checking "frequently". Probably too frequently. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pushin hard more than thirty minutes and no progress i think is the time to fret. I think. They can labor for a good while before pushin starts. Be patient.
Agreed. We let another doe go 45 minutes once - Inexperience. Won't do THAT again. She was exhausted, and
the large buck was breech.

Patience...yeah. Not my forte. Haha. The kids are out there, so I can rest a little easier. They'll holler if she starts to push.

Thank you for your wisdom.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts