The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things have been going great with our 4 kids until today.
This evening I brought the boys into their containment pen, (I have been doing this by ringing a bell- and giving them each a 1/4 cup of grain mixed with a pinch of baking soda). And when I went to put the grain down for them- One of the boys walked away and layed down by himself. He is very tired. He is not wheezing or anything that I can tell. When I sat down he climbed up in my lap, and layed his head on my chest and closed his eyes. He is not chewing- He does not seem bloated... at least that I can tell...
When he stands up he stretches all the way out. Then walks somewhere else and lays down. He only lays in one spot for about 5 minutes. Then he stretches and moves again. I have seen him go pee- but not poop.
He is usually the instigator- and now he is just sleepy and wont eat.

·
Registered
31,392 Posts
I would get a temp on him...feel his tummy..is it hard ?

·
Registered
31,392 Posts
if he has not pooped it will make him sick..an enema will help move things along..I like an oil and water enema..seems to work better than soap and water and doe not cause irritation on the little bum..use a syringe to draw some warm water and oil ( such as olive oil, any cooking oil) stir well each time...insert just th tip and puh theplunger slowly...message the tummy well..this might take some time so go slow and be patient..once a good amount of poop has been expelled let his rest..the oil in the enema now as coated his bowels and should help get things moving..

·
I'm watching you
22,532 Posts
Do the veg oil/water enema, I add soft butter to soften the stool, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in warm water by mouth OR the MOM which is better, vitamin B complex. Rub, rub rub his tummy until he's burping and pooping.

·
Registered
31,392 Posts
hows your baby today? his temp looks good...so I assume he is constipated...was an enema successful?

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This morning I have seen him pee and poop. He still won't eat or drink anything, Temp still normal. When I massage his tummy I hear movement and he will chew cud. If I am not massaging he just stands still or wants to climb in my lap. I have tried tempting him with grain, and his favorite treat- and he wants nothing to do with it. I am going to head down to the supply store and pick up a few things- any extra recommendations?
He is 11 weeks old- Alpine.

·
Registered
31,392 Posts
keep a close watch in his temp..it can sneak up quickly..we call this silent pnemonia ..his tmep can go up and down..takehis temp several times a day ..find CD Antitoxinif you dont have any...Nuflor froma vet is a good antibiotic choice in case he needs it..Tylan 200 is OTC at tractor supply and is my first OT choice ...keep him hydrated...

·
Registered
31,392 Posts
yes a syringe would work..or a small drench gun...also if you fix him somethinghe likes he might drink on his own...try this
1/2 gallon warm water
2-6 Tbls. Black strap molasses ( or any moslasses you have on hand)
1-2 tbsp. table salt, sea salt, epsom salt or baking soda ( i use baking soda)
1 cup apple cider vinegar

mix and serve : )

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How many things can/should I try at one time?
Can I do the drink above, the probiotics and the Vitamin at the same time?

·
Registered
31,392 Posts
you can do all three at one time...they will not interfier with eachother..:D

·
Registered
31,392 Posts
do keep a watch on his temp

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Temp is still normal.
He would not drink on his own, but when I started using the syringe he just drank it up like it was a bottle! He took a lot of it- and a lot of the probiotic and electrolyte as well. I also went a head and did a bloat drench. He has started burping a lot- and chewing his cud again. Maybe it was bloat? Would he have a temp. with bloat? He is up walking around smelling the grasses and such- but won't eat any yet....

·
Registered
31,392 Posts
Thats great.... If he is chewing a cud he is feeling better....he should not have a temp with bloat....dont offer grain just yet..get him eating hay for now...until he is 100% then go slow...great job with him!

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went out to check him again- still no temp... but definitely feeling better. He was up following me around, and I offered him some tender hay flakes in my hand and he actually started nibbling at it. So I am not sure what is working but something is.... Thank you for your help and your advise! I really appreciate it!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts