The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started up the fodder for the cool months and have made improvements. I ran a hose on a watering timer to water 4X daily, and ran the drain water thru the wall where it will soon water the chickens. This way it waters fresh water each time! Also changed the PVC set up with a Costco shelf system that we already owned. MUCH sturdier and bigger. :)

image-3992007661.jpg

image-1456482244.jpg

image-2346087083.jpg

Attachments

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
looks amazing!!! i'd love to do that, but WAAAYYY too humid here! I love your set up!

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
very nice...we did fodder this summer, struggled with mold or lack of sprout..it did well in the living room but Im just not willing to live with it in my living room lol...Hoping to restart when weather is cooler here is Texas as well...Ill have hubby look at your set up ..: ) Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Love your set up. I have been working on mine but keep getting distracted and can't get it set up quite right. I want to figure it out before I go buy bigger and better shelving. I see where you put a chair mat (I think) as a catch for the water? Is that correct? And then you must have a hole in the middle where it drains down into the rubbermaid tote. that is a good idea. I have been struggling with trying to figure that out. I'm not sure if I want to set up a gutter system or what. Still doing my trial runs. I hope to have it finished and really going in the next month. Unfortunately funds are not all there when I need them. Which is why I really want to get it going. Would cut down on the feed costs extremely. Thanks for sharing! I am totally stoked now to try to find a chair mat or something else to use there. I have some heavy duty plastic lining that I could probably use.

Tracy Meyer

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Neat set up:) Curious is Fodder better for the animals then hay? If I did anything like this I would need to do it in one of the sheds with electricity, it could be done... If this is more nutritious for the animals I might do it for next season:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
You still feed the hay with the fodder because they need the long stem stuff. It would replace the grain that you feed. But lots of people say that you can feed lower quality hay instead of the high quality stuff because it's just teh filler stuff, not the main nutrition. There are a lot of people switching over to feeding this to their animals and their animals are not only maintaining condition but thriving. I can not wait to get mine going. I have been feeding just sprouts to our poultry but want to get this going. Hopefully this weekend I can finally spend some time to get it all set up again.

Tracy

·
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya...it's supposed to be super nutritious. I'm just feeding the local grass hay with the fodder. I have been saving a lot cause the sprouting turns 2 1/2 lbs of wheat into about 8-9 lbs of food! (I haven't found a good barley source, but wheat is very close nutrition-wise.
The "mat" I use as a catcher for the water is a hallway runner...found at Home Depot. It's thick
Rubber/plastic??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts