In a knot

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by confederatemule, Oct 6, 2017.

1. We've never raised a buck before. We've had this one since he was around 6 weeks old. He is a purebred Nubian. He is 6 months old now.

On occasion, he will bow up in a knot for just a minute. It makes us think he is constipated and trying to pass an elephant. He does not pass anything. He does this without any warning and at no particular time or place.

Thanks fer any help
    Mule

2. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    If he's like my buck he is wanting to either pee on his face or..umm... not sure how to put this politely but put his penis in his mouth. Or just thinking happy mating thoughts. Mine does that, too, and it always involves his manhood.

3. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    Yes, the first few times this happened to me, I was frightened to death. He is figuring out his maleness.

There is a possibility he is constipated. Watch him for that. But chances are really strong he is growing up, and this is normal weirdness.

4. billiejw89

billiejw89 Well-Known Member

Yep! The boys have such bad manners lol

5. mariarose

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    Do you ever see him poop?

confederatemule likes this.
  6. Not while he is doin this.
    We do see him poop often. The pellets look normal.

mariarose likes this.
  7. mariarose

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    That's what I meant, like, ever. So he is not constipated just an adolescent male.

8. Madgoat

Madgoat Well-Known Member

He's most likely masturbating, or peeing on his face which is what they do to attract the ladies. The girls do it also, hunch up when they are in heat.

catharina and confederatemule like this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep, Madgoat is right.

It is not easy to describe without just saying it.
    But that is exactly what is happening.

10. Thanks, Y'all, for the great answers.
    Deep down inside I figured that was what was goin on.

Mule

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Bucks are totally uncouth! Especially if you have guests over that are not goat people! :haha:

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL, I know it is embarrassing. :oops:

catharina and confederatemule like this.
  13. mariarose

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    I have great enjoyment in people's reactions. I just act like it is completely normal and no big deal, but inside I am laughing.

14. We have fenced off a 300x20 foot area along our driveway. It was a property dividing fence that had growed up [we now own both properties]. He and his wether companion will live there.
    "My" only visitor raises Boar Goats so he is use to it. Any other "visitors" don't matter to me. Now, I don't think my wife fully agrees. She has mentioned; "What about the people driving up the driveway?" Oh well. ;)

15. Val15

Val15 New Member

Jan 15, 2015
    SE OK
    I had a young buck get a stone from eating grain. Might watch him to make sure he can pee. If not you will have to give him a turkey baster full of water with ascorbic acid (fruit fresh) to dissolve the stone. Worked for mine. I gave him that every couple of hours or so. Eventually he pee'd and was a little then more each time. Even made up some in a bucket for him to drink if he wanted.

Search this forum for the amount of ascorbic acid. I can not remember. :(

16. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Val15 has an important point! A goat with a blocked urethra can appear constipated. If you own a male goat it's good to research UC (Urinary Calculi) ahead of time, to reduce all risks that could cause your buck or wether to die a painful death.