The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister and I love to save animals and where training animals and buying them at the animal shelter in Modesto. Maybe! So what's your favorite dog breed for goats and would u buy a dog or need one for any reason?:) thanks! Give me your opinions! I will explain more details later!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I would not ever trust a full grown dog with my goats unless it was of a livestock guardian breed that was raised with them.

That being said, there are the pyreneese breeds, anotolians, and a couple other livestock breeds that are great. I would stay away from any of the terrier breeds and the herding breeds with my goats.

Dogs are not 100% necessary with goats. It really depends on your pasture and predator situations. :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I can't begin to tell you how many of our animals have been rescues over the years. Cats, mostly, but dogs and others as well. And they've become loving members of our family, and always hold a piece of our hearts.

That being said, there is a huge difference between an animal kept strictly as a companion, and one that is meant to be a working partner. Our homestead is small enough, we don't really need a livestock guardian at this point. But if we ever do, it will NOT be a rescue. I want a dog that has been bred for generations to do the jobs I need done. I want a dog that has been bred by someone who knows every aspect of that dog's personality, and his parents' personalities, and grandparents' and so on. I want a dog that has been raised from birth amongst the animals he is expected to protect.

A dog that has been in a shelter, for whatever reason, and then been rescued, retrained, and adopted out, has been through some major upheavals in its life. All the love and caring in the world won't change that. Now, that doesn't mean that such a dog could never be trusted. But, sadly, it does mean that there may be behaviors buried in his brain that may come to the surface when he is stressed or fearful. If that were to happen, then I've failed the dog AND my goats.

Hope I haven't rained on your parade. Shelter animals can be wonderful companions, but they rarely make good livestock guardians.

·
14,615 Posts
As for me, I wouldnt trust a rescued LGD. Said dog might have been a house dog (no thank you) or even working & something went haywire & owners didnt know how to fix the problem. Or gave up too soon because they did not know they take so long to reach adulthood.
LGDs, at least Anatolians, are extremely independent thinkers & hard headed.

·
Banned
988 Posts
I agree about not using a LGD that has come from a shelter. Not saying you cant get lucky an find a good one some ppl have but for me I would luck out. Most of my pets have been shelter dogs but my LGD came from working parents. Thats how I will get my LGDs. My pets are a different story I perfer to adopt those.

·
Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!
825 Posts
If by chance you come across a male great dane & we could work out transport, count us in!

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
our best guard dog was picked up as a pup at the flea market...thent he owner no onger wanted to deal with her...so my daughter and her husband took her in...by this time she was already 4-5 months...had a ***** of ear bit off by first owners other dog and was a mess of nerves....then we kept her when my son in law grandmother passed away and they needed to go to Florida ....she was 7 months old by then.. when they came back ( daughter being pregnant now and sick all the time..she struggled to put up with Peggie Sues puppy antics) I asked to keep her...She even at 7 months..never being around farm animals..never chased a chicken..loved on the cats...enjoyed the company of the goats and decided it was her job wot protect them...she has become the best untrained pain in our butt dog to have with our many animals and kiddos...( human)...Her name is Peggie Sue and She is Boxer/Hound dog..
You dont always have to have that LGD but I doubt Peggie Sue could take on a bear,Mountain lion or Pack of Coyotes...but they dont know that :D
Peggie Sue is anow almost 3

1 - 14 of 14 Posts