In heat?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Aug 6, 2008.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Im trying to figure out which doe will be in heat when, I cant tell which is which. Dates so far have been: July 11,July 30,Aug 4,and Aug 6. Im guessing that the first 2 are one doe and the 2nd two is the other. The only way I know is my Nubian/Alpine mounting the Lamancha. How can I figure out which is which? The cross is always loud and the LM rarely makes any noise so I cant judge by that.

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

mounting other does is also a sign of dominence, watch for flagging tails goo on the rear loud screaming (more then usual)
    \hope this helps
    beth

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have noticed that their vulvas get red and poofy a bit when they are in heat.

4. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I havent seen any goo or noticed red/poofiness. :?

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Watch for a flagging tail (ie wagging it). If the tail is constantly moving or moving a whole bunch when the other doe is riding her etc then she's in heat. Sometimes does exibit dominance when another doe is being more submissive. So if your one doe is in heat the other may ride her around trying to take advantage of her to be dominant.

Some get silent as a mouse when in heat, some talk like they've never talked before. Some scream and yell almost like they're in pain. Some act depressed, some are hyper and want to ride and blubber like a buck at other does. Some get the puffy vulva, most all get some form of discharge. Problem is that the discharge is usually clear at the beginning of the heat and turns white towards the end of the heat. Some you may not see much discharge on them.

In some cases you can press down just a bit on the hips of the doe and she'll flag. Not all do this though. Another good thing is to have a buck rag (rag that's been rubbed all over a stinky smelly buck) and wait. If the doe is in heat she should come to it and flag. Some may rub on it some. Etc.

6. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok,one of them was wagging her tail more. I will try to press them down next time and see if I can figure it out,I need to know by next month to breed them in October. Anyone know of some nice Lamancha bucks in Ohio? lol Im not having much luck finding one.

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Can't help you there. Good luck though! If you look you might luck out and find one.