The Goat Spot Forum banner

In heat?

754 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  GeorgiaBrownRIP 
#1 ·
I have two Nubian does, a mama and her doeling. Bambi (the mama) had a very small amount of red discharge coming out of her earlier, and it seemed like some had stuck to her tail. She isn't doing anything to act like she is in heat. Last time she was in heat she would mount our late whether and flagged her tail often.

I know her doeling is fluctuating in and out of the heat cycle because she is acting crazy and keeps mounting her mom, but she is only 6 months and is too small in my opinion to be bred yet, though the buck I am planning to breed them too is a fainting goat, if y'all think she might be able to be bred.

But Bambi I would like to breed soon, she last kidded in April with the doeling, who is weaned. But I don't want to take her down to the buck and her not be in heat, unless that is what yall recommend? Come to think of it, last time she really started to show being in heat when she was around the stud buck (she fought with him endlessly almost all night). How can I tell if she is in heat, or is she in heat?

If you'd like to know more on the buck to help with the doeling, he is about a foot and a half tall at his whithers, but very heavy set, and probably weighs more than Bambi even though he is half the height. The kids he has sired haven't all survived, BUT they were all coming from pygmy moms, it killed one of them, and temporarily paralyzed the other. But the kid that killed the mom was still far smaller than the kids Bambi previously had, same with the other kid, and the kid that survived (paralyzed the mom) is a very tiny pygmy baby.

See less See more
#2 ·
Red discharge "Blood"? And she has a 6 month old doe kid?

Does she stink back there?

Is she eating and acting OK?

Heat signs:
flagging
riding another goat
Swollen vulva
clear discharge
Messy tail, not blood
very verbal, loud
pacing
peeing a lot more than usual

#4 ·
Good. She was in heat, I just don't think I saw the discharge right. We took her to the stud who fell in love with her in moments and we hope she bred. Time will tell. I'm just aggravated that when I can finally milk her and not have a baby nursing, she begins to loose milk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.