The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in health and now I moved over here.
Star , my pygmy ,may be in labor.
This is only my second goat birth within a week.
The first one went pretty quick.
Star is being very vocal- loud.
I keep running in there and finding no change.

She is very puffy and discharging mucus. Sometimes it's stringy. Her tail is straight up and she looks hollow around the base. She wont let me feel her ligs. She doesn't seem to be straining. Her back is not arched.
When I run in there and ,I do often, she gourges herself on hay. I thought they go off their feed! She acts like she's starving.
Could it be nerves? I gave her some baking soda. Not touching it.
I have a baby monitor set up and I'm trying to determine how she's progressing by her cries. I'm running out every 20 minutes. No change - but she is very loud.
Could this be active labor even if she isn't straining and if she's eating?
I have my birthing kit set up and I'm prepared.
She has been having problems with coughing. We think the pregnancy might be exasperting her cough because I treated her for lungworm and have been giving her Tylan 200. The vet will come out and give her something stronger if she is still coughing after the birth.
So can she be in active labor? She doesn't seem to be straining.
Hmmmm she just quieted down as I am writing this. Just watch, she will probably deliver when I'm not there. :( Nope- starting to cry again. Off I go again.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I think she is probably in pre-labor. I am not totally sure about the coughing, because I have never heard about that as a labor sign! It is most likely unrelated.

Here's a video with plenty of 1st stage labor in it. *It is kind of graphic, but she doesn't start having the babies until 2 minutes into the video*
Some does are quieter than others; some have 1st stage for 10 minutes, while others will do this for 1-2 days. Going off feed is not a reliable sign. Nearly all of my does will munch of hay while babies plop out of them!! Goats just love to eat...

Keep us updated!

·
Super Moderator
83,785 Posts
She may be in pre-labor. Some Does will eat right up to active labor.

If she isn't pushing, in distress or up and down constantly, she should be OK and not quite there yet. The time is getting closer so watch her as you are doing. Wish I can predict when she will kid, but I can't, some are in pre-labor for hours and some just let go. Each Doe and each time can be different.

How is her udder? Really tight? Shiny?

When is her due date?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Trinity and Toth, She looks ready to go - tight udder - large teats. She is quiet when I or my husband goes in there.
I am NEVER going to be caught like this again. When I bought her the previous owner supposedly had her separated from the pygmy buck. She was confined to a pen with 3 triplets she gave birth to. ( Her first) The owner said that maybe the buck jumped the fence. So- I have no idea when she is due. She looks huge and I suspect she will have more than one. The poor girl has been crying for almost 2 hours now. I go back and forth to check her.
I am being treated for a bad bladder infection so I can't sit out there for hours. I am sitting next to the monitor and run out when she gets very vocal.
My heart is breaking for her. I tried sitting in the stall with her but she would have none of that. She wants me outside looking in.
I am so angry right now. We had her with my son's tiny buck ( at his place) but it's obviously she was bred with the previous owner's buck - not long after she gave birth.
No more accidental breedings. :(
I hope this birth will be okay. I am fairly new at this. I am going to watch the video now.

·
Registered
31,056 Posts
I have a doe who munched on Alfalfa during labor 9we didnt even know she was in labor!)..dropped her kid and went back to eating alfalfa..!! Each doe is different., some want you touching them the whole time and become mouthy if you don't..others don't want you within sights of them..as long as she is not in distress..neither should you be..deep breath..take care of your health and keep a watchful eye....happy kidding..with shiny tight udders..its any time!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing yet. My gut is telling me to let her out of the kidding pen. She needs to move- to exercise. If she drops the kids in the outside pen that's okay because she's the only goat out there. The other goat is in the kidding pen with her newborn.
She started coughing again this morning and I'm afraid that by confining her I am making her cough worse. I cleaned the stalls two days ago but as you know in order to keep them pristine I would have to do it twice a day.
I'm also wondering if part of her being very vocal was just her wanting to be let out.
She has quite an appetite on top of it all too.
I need to try to find her ligaments. I am having a hard time locating them. Or any on any goat.
She doesn't like anyone to touch her there and will try to butt. In fact because she butts the other goat we fashioned a horn guard for her out of a garden hose.
It will cause some stress but I can try with my husband holding her.
I will close her in the stall if I have to run an errand and will put her in at night.
I really thought she was going to kid yesterday. But- I am fairly new at this.
I do know that ,healthwise, it will be better for her if they are born soon since the pregnancy is exasperating her health.
I have done everything that I could for her. She has been wormed, innoculated for CDT, given antibiotics. Her diet is sweet feed, loose minerals, BOSS, probiotic ( because of the antibiotic) hay and alfafafa hay. They also get produce treats.
I think I have done everything right. My gut is telling me that she needs sunshine, fresh air and exercise.
I need a chill pill and maybe a stiff drink.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Katelyn, I was able to see the video - finally. I love Nubians. I wish I could have them. Although our nearest year round neighbor is a mile away we only own one acre - therefore we can only have the dwarves. Star is full pygmy ( not registered). She was mated to a full pygmy. Sunny who had a kid a couple of days ago is a Pygmy/ Nigerian dwarf mix - mated to a full pygmy. The reason I believe she has ND in her is because she has beautiful blue eyes. Thank you for sharing the video. The kids are beautiful. Well, got to check on Star. She is being vocal again.

·
Registered
31,056 Posts
I cant go by ligs either lol...I look at the other signs..tight full shiny udder..teats strudded..(firm and stiff) droopy drawers ( baggie girlie parts) tail dropped (from fallen ligs I believe lol) babies under mom instead of on the side..
Mom will become restless..sometimes will stand and stretch, head will push into walls and trees as contractions move the babies into position..until FINALLY she lays down and begins pushing..
pre labor party is different with each doe..some are quick while others take days..
as long as mom is not in distress..eating drinking pooping peeing..then I dont worry too much..more than normal that is..: ) and I firmly believe just as a watch pot never boils neither does a watched Doe kid!!!:D let her loose..check on her often..and pretend you dont care...works every time..( usually Im spying with binoculars lol)

·
Registered
31,056 Posts
trinityranch.. that is a great video...your doe is so funny..kicking the other doe out of her place to kid lol...taking bites of grain between cleaning her kids lol..I bet she is a hoot!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you CantHavejust1. I feel easier about my decision. She needs to walk around and climb her favorite rock. Ha Ha Cathy, I do have binoculars- 3 of them. I can see the pen from my bathroom window. I will use the binoculars to spy on her. If she sees me she becomes excited and yells- MOM COME OUT HERE NOOOOOOWWWWW!!! LOL. She even can spot me in the window. I don't know how they do it. I can't even see in the window during the day. I think I will put on a disguise. LOL:D

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Katelyn, I was able to see the video - finally. I love Nubians. I wish I could have them. Although our nearest year round neighbor is a mile away we only own one acre - therefore we can only have the dwarves. Star is full pygmy ( not registered). She was mated to a full pygmy. Sunny who had a kid a couple of days ago is a Pygmy/ Nigerian dwarf mix - mated to a full pygmy. The reason I believe she has ND in her is because she has beautiful blue eyes. Thank you for sharing the video. The kids are beautiful. Well, got to check on Star. She is being vocal again.
Thank you! We were pretty pleased with the kids as well. Good luck with Star! I will be watching this thread... ;)

trinityranch.. that is a great video...your doe is so funny..kicking the other doe out of her place to kid lol...taking bites of grain between cleaning her kids lol..I bet she is a hoot!!
Yes she is a funny one. The black doe she kicked out was her daughter... she was just trying to make room to have another black doe!! And you see how she 'sits'? That is her favorite pregnancy position. She learned it and did it for 2 months straight while pregnant with triplet bucklings...

I love capturing the labor moments on film. That way, I can watch them all throughout the non-kidding season :D

·
Super Moderator
83,785 Posts
Doe's, love to keep us guessing and stressed. Just their way.

It is OK, to allow a preggo doe, that is close out and about, especially if, the weather is decent and you are able to check on her. You can always moved her back in her stall, after she is all done kidding. Some does are more comfortable kidding out in the pasture rather than in a stall anyway. Of course, sometimes, we have to put them in their stall, if the weather is bad, but if the weather is nice, let her go out there. :)

Oh yeah, go to the store, goats love to have them when you have to leave for a short while, LOL ;)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Oh dont I know how you feel ,lolol Im sorry she is putting you through this torture :( I feel your pain ! I just went through it , watched her like a hawk and I still missed the birth !!
Good luck to you and prayers for a speedy , uneventful delivery and healthy bouncing babies :)

Trinity Ranch , your doe is so pretty , I love when she "threw" the other doe out of her spot !! That was priceless , I think if she could have picked her up by her head and physically threw her out she would have !!
"get the bleep bleeping out of my bleeping spot you bleep " !!!!! :eek::eek:
The first shot you have of her pawing and digging is so funny ! The first look she gives you is like " ya going to put down that camera and help me dig this hole to China , I want to have my babies in China " :ROFL:

Beautiful babies BTW :):):)

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Trinity Ranch , your doe is so pretty , I love when she "threw" the other doe out of her spot !! That was priceless , I think if she could have picked her up by her head and physically threw her out she would have !!
"get the bleep bleeping out of my bleeping spot you bleep " !!!!! :eek::eek:
The first shot you have of her pawing and digging is so funny ! The first look she gives you is like " ya going to put down that camera and help me dig this hole to China , I want to have my babies in China " :ROFL:

Beautiful babies BTW :):):)
LOL!! :ROFL: You are so funny! Dinah is always a witchy girl while pregnant! And thank you :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is torture but well worth it. I too have some goat-binoculars just for
keeping that distant "watch" on them. Good luck! Hope it happens soon

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Thank you CantHavejust1. I feel easier about my decision. She needs to walk around and climb her favorite rock. Ha Ha Cathy, I do have binoculars- 3 of them. I can see the pen from my bathroom window. I will use the binoculars to spy on her. If she sees me she becomes excited and yells- MOM COME OUT HERE NOOOOOOWWWWW!!! LOL. She even can spot me in the window. I don't know how they do it. I can't even see in the window during the day. I think I will put on a disguise. LOL:D
My house is about 400 yards away and not in direct line of the goat paddock. I have to work really hard to see the paddock from my bedroom window, yet my queenie knows when I'm peering out of it. These gals are too smart. I hope your girls has progress soon so you can stop peeping.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts