The Goat Spot Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
The baby is nursing. Star is being very vocal and that is making me nervous. However she has always been vocal. ( not screaming) I tried lifting her tail but she went nuts. She almost ran over the baby. She HATES having her rear checked.
She is eating and drinking. She doesn't seem like she's pushing. She did have triplets before, and she delivered them with no help. She also cared for them successfully.
Please--Tell me what to watch for if she has more in there. I tried the bouncing thing and she just felt hard. I probably did it wrong. She hated it too.

The last time I called the Vet she didn't get back to me until 3 days later. She is the only livestock vet here. I am also in Appalachia. ( West Virginia) I have been here for almost 3 years and my impression is that people here do their own doctoring.

So if she isn't pushing does that mean no more kids?

I am going to check on her again. I have the baby monitor on. A lot of good that did though. She didn't sound distressed when she gave birth. She surprised me. :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I think the wet hay in the beginning was just the liquid from the sack. It has a lot in it, you'd be surprised. I would say keep a sharp eye out for the afterbirth; sometimes it can take a while. But they certainly can sneak it out when you're not looking. I once was checking one doe for the AB like every ten minutes, and she managed to pass it while I was gone. I was freaking out, going to call the vet, then my sis said she saw the doe eating it while she was out there. :rolleyes:
I would get someone to hold her maybe ( best case scenario, I always end up doing these things alone) while you "go in" to check for more kids. It doesn't seem quite right to me. I hope everything goes well. :hug:
If you need to know what to do, there's lots of good advice here: http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f217/goat-labor-151053/

·
Administrator
84,552 Posts
So glad the baby is nursing :)
Keep an eye on her udder so she doesn't get overly full. You may have to relieve her and milk some out if this happens.

Have you dipped the cord with iodine?

If she is eating and acting fine, things may be OK. You will know within 2 weeks, if she goes off feed. And has a foul odor.

It is a bit of a worry, when you don't see the afterbirth. Cause you don't know.

There is a time frame, that she remains open to check, if you are to have someones help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Star seems to be more quiet. I did dip the cord in iodine and gave mom some mollasses in her water. She is eating and drinking. I gave her some feed and she devoured it.
I did the bounce thing and didn't feel anything. She was just hard.

I named the doe Fiona. She is a pretty color ( sort of silver) and is full pygmy. My other goat ND/ Pygmy mix kidded 3 weeks ago to a doe and I named her Freya.

If Star continues to cough tonight I will call the Vet Monday. I will continue to monitor her through out the night.
She really freaked when I tried to wash her off. It really stressed her - a lot.

Sunny my other goat is more skittish and she stood still for me while I cleaned her. Sunny's afterbirth was half out and she obviously ate the afterbirth, because the next morning there was no sign of it. The poor thing ( Sunny) was attacked by barn flies because of her discharge, after she kidded. Her tail was raw. I cleaned her and sprayed blue coat on her. She is now walking around with a purple tail. :)

I will try to clean Star tomorrow and hopefully she will have passed the afterbirth if she hasn't already. I will also watch for any odor and will TRY to take her temp. I have taken it before with no trouble. I might call the Vet anyway. Of course it will be some time before she gets back to me.

Thank you everyone for the support. I never knew this would be so stressful. :eek:

·
Administrator
84,552 Posts
Your so welcome :) She sounds good :)

Glad you dipped the cord :)

Molasses water was good to give momma.

Cute name, I love it. ;)

Flies are horrible in the summer I agree. :(

Coughing could be lungworms or allergies, to something more. If she is acting well, I don't suspect pneumonia, but keep an eye on her.

Keep us updated

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I'm pretty sure she passed the afterbirth last night what was left was stuck to the back of her udder. I strained my back a little trying to take it off her. Imagine a bucking doe while trying to hold her collar and wiping off the mess. ( so it wouldn't attract flies)
I don't know why she's so skittish. She will come up to us and let us pet her, but forget about touching her back side. It will be fun trying to milk her.
The pygmy doeling is so cute.I am attaching the photo. I hope it attaches okay. I had to let her out of her pen for a couple of minutes so that I could clean her mum, and I didn't want her to hurt the baby while she thrashed about.

Attachments

·
Administrator
84,552 Posts
The afterbirth wasn't attached inside of her vulva was it?

She is sore back there so she doesn't want to be touched.

Sorry you hurt your back. :(

Anytime you have to work with a jumpy momma, remove the kid, either have someone hold it or put it in a safe place close but out of the way.

That is a really cute baby, congrats :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Congratgulations, baby is so adorable! I'm glad she did it okay without help. :) Sorry you're having trouble with her, but I sure know how that is. ;) Some are REALLY touchy about being cleaned. Most of mine HATE it with a passion, but I can't help it, I always have to clean them off till there's not a speck of blood anywhere, especially if there's going to be a lot of visitors wanting to see mama and baby(s) right after they're born.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
No, what was left of the afterbirth was out, stuck to her behind and udder. It was very thick and I'm assuming it was what was left of the afterbirth. I would never pull it out of her vulva. The baby was outside the pen when I cleaned her. :)
I still have to wash her really good with water and mild soap. I am going to need my husband for that.
I might have to milk her too, since it's just one kid and I'm not sure if she is relieving poor mom. I think we will use the milk stand to clean her. Thanks again for the support.
As far as the coughing she isn't coughing as much but I am still concerned. I have treated her with Ivermectin for lung worm and Tylan 200 for possible respiratory infections. So I am not too happy about it.
Another strange thing is the ammonia from the urine in the shed is very strong. I cleaned it 2 days ago and treated the wood floor with barn lime. I also cleaned out the stall after she kidded. I know she is drinking water. So I will have to clean it again today. I normally clean twice a week. Maybe it's not enough.

·
Administrator
84,552 Posts
Your very welcome :)

Maybe she needs to drink more water than she is perhaps. Not sure.

How thick of bedding are you putting in there? Are you putting down shavings, then a layer of straw?

Coughing may be due to the ammonia smell, if it is really strong.

Yes, milk her some to make her comfortable, her baby is too young yet to attempt to keep up with her milk supply.

Also, when the kid is older, you can teach, there are two sides. Otherwise, you will have to keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Yes, Pam. :) I put down Barn Lime, then the shavings and then straw. I even scrape the wood. It's not a big goat shed. We built it. 8x8. Big enough for a few pygmys. Two enclosed stalls on a wooden platform. The other half is dirt. The strong ammonia smell is new. Yes it smelled a bit but not this bad. They get fresh water twice a day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Thank you. Yeah we only have an acre out in the country - even though our nearest ( full time) neighbor is a mile away. So - we could only get dwarf goats. Therefore we have a small shed.
Star was making a loud moaning noise and I thought that is why she may have had more babies on the way.
I had her out in the pen a little while ago and she was making that odd moaning noise. She did it when the other goat got too close. So, it was a sort of warning. It scared the patootie out of me. :eek: I never heard her make that sound before.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts