In labor or not?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Kristendanae, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Kristendanae

Kristendanae Active Member

I have a 2 year old ff with a due date of December the 9th. Yesterday, the 12th, she had a bunch of clear goo hanging from her back end so I separated her from the other girls. In the shed she keeps getting up and down but isn't moving around a lot. She's eating and drinking well and I took her temperature and it's in normal range. Just checked again and still no babies! Should I be worried? I don't think she's in full blown labor but she is acting uncomfortable. Is this normal?

Trollmor likes this.
  2. Kristendanae

I just really expected babies yesterday after I saw all the clear goo and 24 hours later.... nothing! This is the first time I've ever noticed a goats labor signs. Even with my watchful eye they usually pop them out and I don't see it happen.

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Goo is usually a good sign that she's going to deliver soon. Is she uncomfortable? Pawing, pacing pressing her head against the wall?

These might help

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  4. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS

I hope these help, sorry if I posted duplicates but I can't see the videos on my tablet.

5. Kristendanae

She did that a few times yesterday. And pawed the ground. I'm just worried I need to intervene bc she hasn't kidded yet. She isn't acting like she is in pain. Just a bit uncomfortable. Thanks for the video!

6. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    I would be a bit worried if the labour begins but does not progress. Have you the knowledge to go in an check yourself, or shall we hope for a vet? It happens that triplets get stuck in the birth canal.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You could wash up, (you and the back side of the doe) trim long fingernails, I put on surgical gloves, get some lube (soapy water, mineral oil, ky jelly, etc) and go in to check, see if she is dialated and see if maybe a kid is stuck.

Since the weekend is coming and it's hard to get vets, you might want to get your vet on call.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :up:

If you are are worried for her, you can go in as suggested above and check to see if she is open with a kid at the door, partially dilated or if you go in and hit a wall. Or call a vet out to check her.

If you seen a clear amber tube like discharge, she is close.

How are her ligs?

goatblessings likes this.
  9. Kristendanae

She still has her ligs. The vet usually works half days on Friday. I'm not at home. Husband says she has diarrhea now. I called the vet and she is actually out of town... I'm not home to see how she is. I'll be home around 2 from work.

Trollmor likes this.
  10. Kristendanae

He's watching her for other symptoms now before he leaves for work.

Trollmor likes this.
  11. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Oh rats, I had hoped she had made progress by now, I was racing out the door when I put up those videos...I'd get a vet involved if you can, otherwise, I'd scrub and glove and check her out. How's her diet? has she been getting calcium in hay or alfalfa pellets? Selenium?

12. Kristendanae

She gets a mixed hay that's pretty fresh. And alfalfa pellets mixed with whole grains and BOSS. selenium in her mineral mix but no extra supplement. I don't know what the diarrhea looks like Til I get home. If it's clumpy of full blown liquid.

Trollmor and toth boer goats like this.
  13. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    With a due date of the 9th I would be very concerned and try to get a vet. Her labor may have stalled - try to go in if she is still open.

14. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    With 150 days gestation. You have a lee way of 5 days. They usually breed 3 days with a space of 18 hr ovulation. Since its her 1st..just be calm..and check her often. Her body will take a little longer than other experienced does. Give her till the 14th at least. K?

Trollmor and groovyoldlady like this.
  15. Kristendanae

Yea. From the looks of it she wasn't in full blown labor after watching those videos. Though i did see her paw the ground a few times. Unfortunately we were on vacation the week she got pregnant and drove back halfway through to check on the goats(we were campinga little over an hour away) and that's when the buck was acting rowdy. She seemed really shy with him. So it could be later than that.

16. Kristendanae

Unfortunately, she is out of town!

Trollmor likes this.
  17. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Is her udder tight and stretched, teats swollen? Is she staring off and spacey? Is she standing with her tail end higher than her shoulders?
    Or,
    Just not comfortable and trying to get settled in.
    Do you have something for her to stand her front feet up on like cinder blocks or something about 10 inches high to stretch way out to help move the babies into position?

18. Kristendanae

she wasn't really spacey but she has been letting me pet her and she typically runs if she even just sees a human. When I get home I'll get some cynder block and see if that'll help.

Trollmor and GoofyGoat like this.
  19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would think the vet would have another vet on call. Did you ask?

It may or may not be an emergency, but if you were not watching her, you may of missed her pushing.
    if that is the case her contractions may be stalled.
    Not sure, as I am not there to see and check her.

But I am concerned for her.
    Didn't you say she has a lot of discharge? What did it look like? and was it long?

goatblessings and GoofyGoat like this.
  20. Kristendanae

She used to have a partner but he recently retired and it's just her for right now it seems. Her discharge was clear and mostly short. It had a few long pieces here and there yesterday. When I get home I'll update y'all on her. Unfortunately, I also have a sick kid(human)

Trollmor likes this.