In labor or not?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Kristendanae, Dec 13, 2019.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh wow, she may of been in labor.
    with that much coming out.
    Check her for peace of mind.

Trollmor likes this.
  2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Here is a pic of 1 of my does in labor 20190626_133458.jpg 20190626_131529.jpg 20190626_131529.jpg

Attached Files:

Trollmor and toth boer goats like this.

3. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    See how large her udder is? These pictures are about 12 minutes apart. She was 153 days of gestation.

4. Kristendanae

Kristendanae Active Member

Her udders are not large. Not compared to my other goats who kidded recently and she still has her ligaments. She does have pretty runny diarrhea and her temperature is normal. In the mid 102s every time I checked it. We are prepared if need be to put on gloves and see if we can feel anything. But if she isn't ready we shouldn't try right? Wouldn't it hurt her if she wasn't dialated? Her eyelids are very dark pink and we've been giving her gi soother all day bc I figured that can't hurt the diarrhea even if it doesn't help.

Trollmor likes this.
  5. Kristendanae

Her discharge was all clear. No amber colored discharge.

Trollmor likes this.
  6. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Was the clear discharge as large an amount as the picture of the amber discharge?

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    If you decide to check her. Its alot like a female being examined. Just use gloves, lubricant, and go easy on her. You will feel a mushy opening the allows you to go deeper..or a flat thicker surface that wont let you in. I dont know if you will know what you are feeling? I dont know your level of knowledge with internal anatomy of a goat. Not to sound mean...

8. Kristendanae

My husband was reading about it. Goats anatomy and such on the way home. I'll probably do it since my hands are smaller. No her discharge wasn't like that. Mostly her tail was sticky. And it looked moist. A few longer pieces. None that thick and long though.

9. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

It could have been her mucus plug if it was all clear and no amber. Amber is kids very soon color. The plug can come out a day to a weekish earlier.

10. Is it possible to have a different due date? Could she have not taken and she was in heat?

toth boer goats likes this.
  11. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I have had does that did not exhibit the long amber color - until they started to push - if you missed it, her labor could have stalled. I am concerned for her.

12. Kristendanae

We thought she may have gotten pregnant her next cycle bc she was in with the buck for close to 2 months after that. She is actually in active labor right now it seems.

13. Kristendanae

Ok. So she seems to be in active labor right now. She has diarrhea pretty bad and that coupled with her possibly kidding has me the most worried. I've only have a few does kid but none have gotten diarrhea during. She had a clean fecal a month ago, dark eyelids right now. Her temperature has been good. We've had a bad bought with cocci a few months ago with 2 does and 3/4 kids getting it. She is in a clean pen where we burnt the grass contaminated with cocci and it has been empty for nearly 2 months.

Trollmor and Jubillee like this.
  14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get a fecal on her again for worms and cocci. Stress can trigger both.You can give her pig scour halt, double the dosage it says on the label, give 2 x a day for 3 days. If her fecal is clean that will stop it.

Are you perhaps feeding too much grain? What are you feeding her?

If she is in active labor and pushing, don't let it go past 30-45 minutes at most. if it does, wash up and go in, she is having trouble, or call a vet.

15. Kristendanae

She has only been getting an ounce or 2 of grain mixed in with her alfalfa pellets each day. I'll get a fecal Monday and give her scour halt.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Any babies yet? Is she in labor? How is she?

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    A picture might help.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008