In labor or not?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Kristendanae, Dec 13, 2019.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so very sorry. :(

Sometimes, no matter what we do for them, we cannot save them.

There is a lot of good advice given.

2. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Mineral oil??? Some old people used an egg white. If you do not have commercial lubricant.

3. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
  4. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Thank you very much for sharing! Maybe some other doe can be helped. GOOD LUCK next time! :hug::hug:

5. Ron at BFAD

Ron at BFAD New Member

May 2, 2018
    Mercer, pa
    Give them about a 1/4 cup a day and either mix it in their grain or just pour it in their feed box. You know goats. If its good and in front of them they'll eat it. At one time i even had my feed mill just add it to the feed that i was feeding them for about 2 weeks before kidding. Hope this helps.
    It usually depends on when i woke up and realized the date is close. I tried to give it 2 weeks before but the one who got the flour mixed into her grain was only 3 or 4 days before. Now since i grow rye i just use it in my mix and everything gets it always, cows, goats, sheep, pigs, chickens and ducks. Don't know what it does for eggs (maybe that's why their all splatted on the wall) not. just a funny thought. But everything seems to eat it and nobody's saying they don't like it. But now i just mix all my left over grains other than that for planting together, rye, wheat, oats, spelts, soy (roast in the oven), corn, milo, millet, buckwheat, quinoe, chia and anything else I've grown and depending on whose getting it, molasses for cows, goats and sheep and figure each grain adds its own benifits.

6. Denise Troy

Denise Troy Active Member

Aug 31, 2019
    Pa
    If I see this, and I feel inside..do I use the kid puller? Is that the time to call the vet, or does she need more time? So, if I’m reading this all right..you are not recommending to give oxytocin? And, I’ve only watched videos on milk fever..any extra clues on how to know in person if it’s happening? My baby monitor comes Monday...they aren’t due until end of Jan, feb 1...but, I’m still checking ligaments just to get a feel, and get them used to it. Any other tips? I’m sorry to highjack this thread...but, I’m trying to learn. I am soooo sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how tore up you and your loved ones must feel after going through the pregnancy process. I just pray the new year brings you better things ahead. :)

Trollmor likes this.
  7. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    If you reach inside and feel kids, you can usually just pull them out with your hands. The only ones that have defeated me are the ones with severe head back. I bought a kid puller in case I ever get another one of those nightmares. Most of the time you can reach in far enough to find the feet and head. Make sure they belong to the same kid! Unless it's backwards, try to position the kid with the front toes forward and the head resting on the knees. If the kid is backwards, get both hind hooves into the birth canal and then pull the legs downward. Get breech kids out as quickly as possible so they don't inhale amniotic fluid.

If you suspect a doe is in distress and you don't feel comfortable pulling kids yourself, it's always ok to call a vet or an experienced goat mentor. I do not recommend giving oxytocin unless you know for sure what you're doing. If you give it when the doe is not dilated, you could cause serious problems. A vet would know whether it was safe to give. A vet should also be able to tell if a goat is showing signs of calcium deficiency and could give calcium injections to prevent the doe from crashing after delivery.

8. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    This can be tricky sometimes; take it easy, do not rush!

9. Denise Troy

Aug 31, 2019
    Pa
    And my doe is going to let me reach inside her to do this...I saw that I Tie her up?

10. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Most of the time, the doe will let you reach inside, especially if she's already laying down. If she is getting up and down and moving around too much, it is helpful to have someone hold her still for you. I have never had to tie up a goat with delivery complications, but I would do it if I needed to. It's better than having her run off with a kid half out! (I think someone on here had their doe run off with a breech kid partly out and of course that kid didn't make it.)

If your goat is kind of wild then she should be contained in a small area where, if she does try to run off during delivery, she can't actually get away from you. I don't usually lock my goats in during delivery since my favorite place for them to have kids is on the clean grass in an open area, but my goats are also very tame like pets. They like me to be there when they kid and don't object to a little help if needed. If my goats were skittish I would try to make sure they were contained in a small area when they went into labor.

11. Denise Troy

Aug 31, 2019
    Pa
    We made a kidding pen today...my Pygmy is a bit skittish..perhaps I’ll have her go in there. But, Busty, my Nigerian Dwarf mix..she’s better...we have no grass, so it’ll be on the clean straw in the barn..but she loves it in there...it’s her home. And then I can keep Stormy in the pen, out of the way. :)

12. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Most of the times the doe understands that we try to help. TALK with her in the first place!

(Say Hm - hm - hm, and "ask" with your hand what is acceptable.)

13. Denise Troy

Aug 31, 2019
    Pa
    I usually rub them and say, it’s ok, it’s ok...that sort of thing..but I’m sure any words would do....:).

14. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    So, how did it end?

toth boer goats likes this.