In Memory of Shanti

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by PACE, Apr 19, 2009.

1. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Shanti, who died yesterday afternoon at 3:00 was my amazingly trustful, inquisitive, and loving goat right up to the very end. The empty place he left behind is still huge and gaping, and so incredibly hollow. I'm sure the pain will ease in time, but I will always remember him for what he was; my little baby and a great friend. I got him when he was 3 months old-- one of my very first goats. He was tiny and beautiful and braver than Pace, with fuzzy black fur. he grew up to be a very handsome bloke with shiny black fur and a tiny white star on his head. He was always the kind of guy that took no nonsense while still going with the flow. He was cuddly and sweet and pigheaded and greedy and very perfect in all his imperfection. He was a character, and I truly feel privileged to have known him. My goatpen will never again feel complete without him there standing on top of the rock baaing that loud low happy baa. He was only two years old when he died, much, much too young, when he was still so full of life. He would have been three in June, and Pace will live on, helping to keep his memory. Shanti died peacefully in my arms and I would not have wanted it any other way. He remained bright and curious to the end, to the point of causing trouble. Now he is not in pain, and is completely free to enjoy this wonderful Spring.

Here is one of the last pictures I took of him, about two months ago

[​IMG]

This was taken fall of 2008

[​IMG]

Exploring with Pace

[​IMG]

Doing what he did best: eating, and giving attitude :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the rock with his buddies

[​IMG]

Frolicking through the field

[​IMG]

Here's the time I clipped him... yep, it was atrocious hehe

[​IMG]

Mr. Personality

[​IMG]

He loved to play and run

[​IMG]

Last winter

[​IMG]

Reindeer Shanti in 2007

[​IMG]

Fall of 2007

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Summer 2007, shortly after I got Melino

[​IMG]

Here he was as a kid, in Fall 2006 shortly after I brought him and Pace home

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His baby picture at his breeder's farm

[​IMG]

This might be my favorite photo of him. He was just over a year old

[​IMG]

Looking back at all these pictures just makes me miss him more right now, and tears run down my face as I write this. He was an incredibly special goat and will be missed terribly.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Emily, It sure looks like he loved living with you as much as you loved having him with you. I have to say he was so happy and I would give those other a little extra attention. You lost your beloved goat but they lost their beloved friend, pal and barn mate. :hug: :hug: to you all.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Shanti looks so much like my Elwood.......my heart hurts so much for you Emily, in time your pain will lessen and the tears that run down your face with the thoughts and memories of him right now will turn to smiles and laughter remembering back to his antics. I hope you can find peace and comfort in knowing that he is out of pain now......it is so hard to see one of our animal babies suffering and in pain and Shanti is no longer, he is running and playing in the green pastures at rainbow bridge with all the other beloved goaties that have passed on.
    Take care and my thoughts are with you at this time, Denise

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh how sad..... :( ........I am so ....sorry you lost him ....he was a very handsome guy.....and from the pics ...was such a character....so cute.. :love: ...It isn't easy losing a precious life.. like that ...but remember this ....you gave him plenty of love ...and a happy life......he's at peace now and looking down apon you ....with a smile and love in his eyes and heart......... :hug:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry that you lost him. I know that you loved that goatie so much. he will be with you always in your thoughts. Take care hun. :hug:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Emily, I am so sorry :hug:

All your boys are so very well loved and Shanti was such a handsome boy....he knew it too. As you said, he went knowing how much you love him and he will be enjoying the Spring at the Rainbow Bridge, free of pain :hug:

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    :( I'm so sorry you lost Shanti. He sure was a handsome goat :hug:

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I am so sorry you lost him. :( He was such a handsome fellow. :hug:

9. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I am very sorry for your loss. It was an honor to read the precious words about your Shanti. The pics show us the love, fun, and his "Mr. Personality" so well. Thanks for sharing at such a very difficult time. :grouphug:

10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I am soo soo sorry. :tears:

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Looks like he had an awesome life! I am sorry you lost him. :hug: :hug:

12. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    So sorry for your loss Emily! :hug:

13. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    Thank you again everybody, so much, for all your support. It really helps the whole grieving process to have caring, understanding people beside me. I know how very fortunate I am to have such great friends, family members, and of course, my extended goatspot-family. I am doing much better, emotionally, than I was a few days ago. I am still incredibly sad, but the knowledge that Shanti had a happy life and was loved right to the end puts me at ease. I made a card with a picture of him on the front and wrote a letter to the vet thanking her for being so kind and understanding, and letting her know how much I appreciate everything she did for Shanti, including helping me to decide to let him go, and being there very comfortingly when he died. I have received several condolence cards in the mail as well as numerous phone calls and emails. A few of my friends are throwing a "make Emily feel better party" (as they call it) and we're going to the movies.

Today I spent many hours with Pace and Melino. They are still rather down, especially Pace, who hasn't been separated from his brother since birth. I gave them a good brushing and let them out of the pen to graze while I sat on the rock and read a book. It was very peaceful and I consider myself so lucky to have my boys. Besides being a great comfort, they will keep Shanti's memory alive. They are wonderfully healthy and are getting back their zest for life. I think Shanti's passing hit them harder than I originally realized (though you guys realized it... as usual, you were a step ahead of me), since I was so wrapped up in my own grief. I have resolved to focus on keeping them happy, rather than moping around and feeling sorry about my loss... it is their loss as well. I was glad to see Pace doing him happy dance and bounding through the field today. It was such a joy to witness his happiness, and I think he is moving on, too.

Shanti taught me many things about life, love, and loss, cheesy as it sounds. He truly made me a more compassionate person, and I believe his living made the world a better place. The things I learned from him will help me to reach out and help others in need, passing on the love he was filled with his entire life.

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Emily....glad to hear that you and your boys are getting on with life....I know from experienced that this has been a hard week for you.....time will heal both you and your other boys...... you will never forget Shanti, he will live on in your heart.
    Take care, Denise