in need of help

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by evansmomt, May 5, 2009.

1. evansmomt

evansmomt New Member

May 5, 2009
    my little copper top is not acting right . at 12 weeks old when we got her she was badly neglected and very skinny . shes been wormed and tested since the worming we are still worming her once a month . she was anemic ffrom the worm load and weve since been able to bring her iorn levals up . today i find her walking on her knees and wobbbly. any suggestions?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Give her a shot of thiamin(B1) or B complex if you have it. What kind of worms were you treating her for?

3. evansmomt

evansmomt New Member

May 5, 2009
    barbers pole worms and tape worms and some other i cant remember the name of i think it was thread worms. copper is a boer goat. and such a sweetie.

4. evansmomt

evansmomt New Member

May 5, 2009
    i'll be going to the farm store in the morning to get b-complex . grrr we have no vets here that see either goats or horses the nearest vet that does is 3 hrs away.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome to The Goat Spot.....since the anemia has been improved, try giving her some probiotics, it will help her rumen recover the good bacteria needed to digest her food. As far as the "knee walking" has she had her hooves checked over, trimmed if needed? Sometimes deficiencies in diet can cause hoof problems, as can a too rich diet. If she isn't getting enough Vitamin E and Selenium, it can cause mobility troubles, though it is usually the hind quarters. CAE can affect the knees...which is the most common symptom of the disease in adults, I think she is much too young to have that be the problem. I am thinking it is more likely her hooves and her previous diet, check them thoroughly, looking for soft, dampish oozy spots between the "toes" and under the dew claw.

I agree with goathappy, giving her some B complex would perk her up.

So sorry she is dealing with such a bad start, hopefully she thrives in your care.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    get some B1 vitamin tablets and crush them up and give it to her via a syringe.

What is she eating?

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What about regular vets? Just somebody you can get a prescription from? I think the thiamin would really help.

Also give him some probiotics, that should help him especially since the worming has probably destroyed any good bacteria in the rumen.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you have a vet hospital near by go to them. They cant refuse you if you bring her in. may cost an arm and a leg though :( I had that happen. They first were going to refuse me, then I told them "he cant breathe" they rushed into action. Their instinct to help kicks in when they see the need. So if you call they may say they wont help....but if you bring her in they more then likely will do what they can.

9. evansmomt

evansmomt New Member

May 5, 2009
    we've been giving her probois for 2 days now and trimmed and treated her hooves as well today we started adding duravet's vitamins and electrolytes added to the water. it has some b vitimans shes on frms super goat feed and has free choice hay.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like you have all of her needs covered. If you have access to "NutraDrench" try a few squirts and see if it helps....her knee walking is puzzling and I'm sorry I can't be of much help :hug:

11. evansmomt

evansmomt New Member

May 5, 2009
    thanks so much for the advice!

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    knee walking is a sign of founder as well. Was she suddenly given a lot of grain or feed?

13. evansmomt

evansmomt New Member

May 5, 2009
    copper was a rescue goat and very underweight when we first got her. she went from being fed horse feed only to eating super goat feed made by frm and free choice hay not to mention what she eats from her enclosure. shes still under weight but has been slowly gaining.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how much goat feed are you giving her per day?

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The founder is sort of why I was explaining the need to check her hooves, I do hope that is not the case though.
    For her age, a small amount of grain in multiple spaced out meals may be ideal and getting all the high quality hay she wants is a good thing. Hope she is feeling better soon :hug:

16. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    If she was starving and extremely under weight you also don't want to over load her system with a lot of good food. Her system may not be able to handle it... which could lead to founder as well as other problems.

I hope you little one is feeling better soon! :rose:

17. evansmomt

evansmomt New Member

May 5, 2009
    Re: in need of help Update

:leap: just an update on copper shes up and moving around all be it very stiffly . we've been giving her b-12 shots and la 200 along with the probios and electrolytes in the water. she's slowly getting better. never did find a vet in our area that would see her. grrr.so its all trial and error on our part as to figure out what had to be done. we were supposed to worm her again today but i think i'll wait till friday and see how she's doing. thanks so much for everyones helpfull advice.