The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm located in Montana, I have a purebred, registered Bluefaced Leicester ram and I'm looking for a purebred (Possibly registered) Bluefaced Leicester ewe, 6 months or older for sale in somewhat close vicinity. Let me know what you have. Thanks!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don’t live in Montana, sadly, but I am commenting just so that more people can see this and possibly help you find one. Hope you find one soon! And do send pics when you do!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I love them. Great wool and mothering plus tasty meat. And they're personalities are pretty fun! This is one of my babies that is 3/4 BFL. They've got the cutest ears! View attachment 208091
Adorable! My dad owns katadin sheep, which are mostly used for meat. I don’t like the breed though, because they are lanky, and they are definitely not used for wool. I like sheep, like BFL, that can be used for both wool and meat. What is the other quarter of the lamb in the photo?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Adorable! My dad owns katadin sheep, which are mostly used for meat. I don’t like the breed though, because they are lanky, and they are definitely not used for wool. I like sheep, like BFL, that can be used for both wool and meat. What is the other quarter of the lamb in the photo?
I agree. That's the mom. She's a BFL/ Border Leicester mix.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I agree. That's the mom. She's a BFL/ Border Leicester mix.
Beautiful! I don’t know much about sheep, because I think goats are so much easier, so sorry if I appear stupid. 😂 In my area, goats are much better for the environment, because I live on the side of a forest covered mountain. However, I do have an area of field that I keep my sheep in. Do you own any goats?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beautiful! I don’t know much about sheep, because I think goats are so much easier, so sorry if I appear stupid. 😂 In my area, goats are much better for the environment, because I live on the side of a forest covered mountain. However, I do have an area of field that I keep my sheep in. Do you own any goats?
Not at all! I have 4 goats as well. I like raising both sheep and goats!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Not at all! I have 4 goats as well. I like raising both sheep and goats!
Awesome! That’s a perfect number. I have four does, a buck, and eleven kids. (Thankfully not keeping any kids)
Do your sheep eat branches a lot, or are they more grazers? My dads sheep are supposed to be grazers, but they jump like goats and eat trees whenever they can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome! That’s a perfect number. I have four does, a buck, and eleven kids. (Thankfully not keeping any kids)
Do your sheep eat branches a lot, or are they more grazers? My dads sheep are supposed to be grazers, but they jump like goats and eat trees whenever they can.
That's a lot of goats! Tons of fun! My sheep are more grazers but they'll jump and eat tree branches if they get bored. What kind of goats do you have?

·
Registered
568 Posts
That's a lot of goats! Tons of fun! My sheep are more grazers but they'll jump and eat tree branches if they get bored. What kind of goats do you have?
Yes, my goats can be quite the handful.
that’s good to know that it is typical for sheep to not be only grazers. I thought our sheep were just really stupid, which they are.
I have a mix of Nubian, Boer, Saanan, Alpine, and probably some Oberhasli mixed somewhere in. I breed my goats based on the qualities I like of that certain goat, so I don’t really care what breed they are. What breed are yours?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, my goats can be quite the handful.
that’s good to know that it is typical for sheep to not be only grazers. I thought our sheep were just really stupid, which they are.
I have a mix of Nubian, Boer, Saanan, Alpine, and probably some Oberhasli mixed somewhere in. I breed my goats based on the qualities I like of that certain goat, so I don’t really care what breed they are. What breed are yours?
Mine are a mixed bunch as well with Nubian, Alpine and Sannen.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts