The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Southern California! I've been a member here for about 6 months and although I've never posted anything until now, I check in every day about ten times a day to read what all you knowledgable goat people have to say and try to educate myself on the wonderful world of goats. Boy, there is a lot to learn. My family is starting to think I've gone a little nuts with "the goat thing" as they call it, haha. I don't understand how they aren't all as obsessed as I am by now! It's all I talk about, all I read about, pretty much all I think about. Kind of sad considering I don't even have any goats yet! Hoping to change that real soon. We live on 1 acre and have about 1/4 of it that would be all for the goats, plus an empty barn that used to house my father-in-laws cows some 30 years ago. I would absolutely LOVE to milk my goats once I get them, make cheese and soap and candles and everything else you can make with goat milk. I've been leaning toward the Nigerian Dwarves, but am also in love with the look and everything I've heard about LaManchas, though that might be a little TOO much milk for someone just starting out. If I can find a Mini Mancha breeder in my area I think that would be my #1 choice.
Only problem is, I have NO hands-on goat experience! :( If anyone is (or knows someone who is) near the Chino, CA area or within like an hour and a half drive and would be willing to take a newly goat-addicted girl under their wing, I would really love to go to a farm, interact with the goats, ask a million and one questions, and even try my hand at milking if I could. Sorry for rambling the day away, thank you for reading and I look forward to making new goaty friends!!!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Hey Alyssa! (cool spelling BTW);) from Texas:shades:
I'm new to this forum, but my family has had goats for the last 5 years or so. We never had a mentor, and though I saw this forum a couple of times, I didn't think to join until I got my OWN goats (two Nigerian Dwarfs, my absolutely favourite breed, even though I love all goats) :) I'm learning by leaps and bounds since I've joined.:D
If you get a few good books on raising goats and keep reading this forum, I don't think you'll need a mentor, though of course that would be ideal.
You would love to have Nigerians, I know. They are so hardy and adorable and fun to have around, you'll be addicted in no time. I dont know anything about Lamanchas, but I've heard a lot of good things about them. Personally, having no ears really bothers me, but I know that that isn't a problem to a lot of people, that's just me.;)
I hope you can get some goats really soon!!! :thumbup:

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Hello Alyssa! We aren't very close to Chino, but we are Californians also. I'm so glad you are enjoying the Goat spot :) Such a great place to live and learn.

Do you know a nearby 4-H club or FFA chapter? They are great at helping and answering any questions that you might have. Some of the greatest people I have ever met have been my fellow 4-Hers. You can look up your area and see if there are any local places.

Also, check craigslist often if you are looking for mini-Manchas! I haven't seen many around here, but it depends on the area.

Again, welcome! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Alyssa

We have mini manchas, cashmeres, nubian mixes, and San Clemente Islands. We are about 1 hour south of you in Ramona. Feel free to come visit. We will share our expertise however limited.

·
14,615 Posts
Welcome Alyssa, there's nobody like a good mentor in your back pocket!
Well, maybe in your case right in front of you. (;
I still rely on mine from time to time but she's on the other side of the state.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the replies! The lack of ears is one of my favorite things about the LaManchas, so cute, haha! Tomorrow I'm heading to the book store to stock up on reading material and the feed store to look at prices. I just Googled 4-H and FFA and it does look like there are some meetings and stuff around here, I'll have to check that out more! Rggoatranch, I would LOVE that! You'll have to PM me your availability and how to get to you :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you all for the replies! The lack of ears is one of my favorite things about the LaManchas, so cute, haha! Tomorrow I'm heading to the book store to stock up on reading material and the feed store to look at prices. I just Googled 4-H and FFA and it does look like there are some meetings and stuff around here, I'll have to check that out more! Rggoatranch, I would LOVE that! You'll have to PM me your availability and how to get to you :)
Hi

My cell number is 760-851-4460. My husband and I are available Saturdays and Sundays and some Fridays. Please call anytime and leave a message if I don't answer. We love raising goats. They are so much fun.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Hi Alyssa! Welcome & glad you are here. We live a little over an hour south of you, maybe we could meet sometime...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts