The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lily delivered a healthy doeling about 1 1/2 hours ago. I am still waiting for her placenta to deliver and I am not sure if there is another kid in there. How long should it take for the placenta to deliver? Would you intervene with the placenta at this point?

·
Super Moderator
59,610 Posts
Don't mess with the placenta. If it is still attached to the uterus, you can cause the uterus to come out. It can take several hours for the placenta to detach and come out. If you are concerned that there is another kid in there, then you should go in and feel for that.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,912 Posts
I pulled out a doeling from a very skinny doe, and the mother did not show a placenta within 30 minutes. Of course I, thinking that she was done, just left it and told her owner that it would come within the next 4 hours. 3 hours later, she delivered another stillborn doeling and a healthy doeling. NEVER assume the goat is done unless the placenta is OUT, or you have felt no kid by going in.

Good luck :)

·
Super Moderator
31,626 Posts
personally I dont go in unless she shows signs of distress...I do bounce them and have had good success feeling for another kid...it can take a while for the placenta to deliver...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lily and Nicki are doing wonderfully! Thank you all for the words of wisdom when I was panicking. I did a few bouncing checks while I waited for the placenta and I was surprised not to feel anymore kids. In my limited kidding experience (4 times), the placenta took less than an hour. I was also anticipating more than one kid, as Lily is a big girl who has hid her babies very well in the past and had gotten very wide this time. Now I think she had just been getting fat on the lush pasture. I will post a photo later today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts