The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my county fair i on friday i got everything down pretty much but when im in show man ship i want to know all the judge ask me anyone have ideas of what they may ask?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Probably a few body parts ect. Just make sure you keep you eye on the judge and stay on the right side of your animal. Smiling makes a good impression as well.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
They should ask you about a few body parts, might ask you about the points on the score card (like how many points go for general appearance, etc.), I was asked one time where the ADGA office is located, might have you name all the dairy breeds recognized by ADGA. I would also look up disqualifications for your breed, I have been asked before what a disqualification would be for the breed of goat I was showing. Know the breed standards for the breeds, they may ask which breeds are allowed to have roman noses, erect ears, if a Nubian buck can be solid white, if an Alpine can be solid white, if an Oberhasli buck can be solid black, etc. It is a lot to know, but being in novice they most likely won't ask too many questions. Usually they will also have you maneuver the goats around, like change places with someone, or lead two goats side by side, switch goats, etc. The best thing is if the more experienced people go first if you can watch them and see how they do things. Always SMILE. Answer your yes or no questions with Yes, sir/ma'am; No, sir/ma'am. Eye contact is also important, when answering a question look at the judge, not down at your goat. Speak clearly and loud enough for the judge to hear you. Always keep the goat between you and the judge and when you are changing sides don't step over the goat or go behind the goat, step in front and spin around to the other side. If you watch some of the more experienced showers you can see better how they do it.

Clean your goat really well, under the tail (this is the most missed area), inside ears, hooves, udder/teats, nose, eyes, etc. Also know what size blades you used to clip the goat, I've been asked that before too. It also wouldn't hurt to trim your goats hooves today, don't take off a lot, just snip the edges if there is any growth. Most judges will pick up the feet and see if they have been trimmed.

Just remember to have fun and enjoy yourself :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to you guys i won. The county fair i did just bout everything u guys said and it all worked now just for the state fair in two weeks

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
That's great! Congratulations :cool: If you keep practicing and learning your goat parts and everything you should do very well at your state fair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts