The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How closely would you inbreed a goat? I might have found my unicorn buck, but when I dig into his pedigree his dad is my doe’s great grandpa. Is that viewed as generally acceptable inbreeding?

Anyone know of a inbreeding coefficient calculator attached to Agra so I can calculate all the way to the founding ND without all the hand math?

Reactions: AlabamaGirl

·
Registered
305 Posts
How closely would you inbreed a goat? I might have found my unicorn buck, but when I dig into his pedigree his dad is my doe's great grandpa. Is that viewed as generally acceptable inbreeding?

Anyone know of a inbreeding coefficient calculator attached to Agra so I can calculate all the way to the founding ND without all the hand math?
When I had goats, we bred half-siblings and father-daughter without any problems, the babies were never born with any problems. I haven't found a coefficient calculator yet.

Reactions: J.O.Y. Farm

·
Registered
179 Posts
If the sire and dam are ADGA registered, you can look them up on Adga genetics and when you pull them up in a planned breeding format, it will tell you the % of inbreeding.
This is how I do it! It's called the planned pedigree calculator and is found here: https://adgagenetics.org/PlannedPedigree.aspx

I am of the mind that I like to stay under 20%, generally. Some people are comfortable going higher, and some people actually purposefully like to stay around 10%. Honestly, with the relationship between your buck and doe you are probably going to be perfectly safe. There are never any guarantees, but great grandpa is pretty far removed - only 1/8 of your doe's genetics - so unless they have other ancestors in common too, you're probably alright.

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
There are many breeders who line breed very closely, but they know what they get when they pair. It really depends on the quality of kids born to closely related parents and their thriftiness. It's said - it's inbreeding if it doesn't work, linebreeding if it does. The only caveat is never breed full brother to full sister.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
That’s plenty far off enough! I’ve done as close as half siblings and father to daughter without issue. But I did more loose line breeding that those that were super close... also just depended on what I had for bucks and does at the time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you want to read an interesting book about breeding, inbreeding etc, get the book: Managing Breeds for a secure future. By Phillip Sponenberg, Alison Martin, & Jeanette Beranger

It was written for breeders and breed associations and covers how to manage breeding when you have a small genetic pool. Since we have a bloodline of Spanish Goats where there are very few known to exist, I've used their breeding strategies to help us select breeding pairs. It will definitely ease your mind about the "dangers" of inbreeding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts