Incorporate or DBA?

Discussion in 'Business Buzz' started by billmac, Mar 2, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Can anyone speak to the advantages and disadvantages of incorporating versus simply Doing Business As? As far as I know, Incorporation provides some protection from bankruptcy, lawsuits, etc, but requires much more paperwork and a higher startup cost. DBA is simpler but potentially more risky. I believe if you intend to pay yourself a salary, you have to be incorporated.

I don't know if there are other differences.

2. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    well when I wanted to start my goat business, my DH insisted it needed to be a LLC which I though was a bit overboard, but DH won and we are a LLC DBA (doing business as) Happy Goats Ranch. I am glad you asked this question because I bet we are one of a few that do it this way.
    I can't wait for other responses!

Denise

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I really wish I could help....but I have no clue here....I hope someone can answer it for you... :wink:

4. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    We originally started thinking we would set up our business as an LLC, but after seeing how the fees for this, that & the other thing started to add up (to meet federal quidelines, taxes, state fees, etc.), we are doing the DBA thing for as long as we can get away with it......

5. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thank you..MissMM :greengrin: :greengrin: