The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I know this is a goat forum but I recently purchased an incubator I put about 18 eggs in and only one successfully hatched i had one start hatching but died before it can finish and so I investigated carefully after the only chick to hatch dried and the chick was underdeveloped (all eggs were fertilized) but I then check the ones that didn't hatch and they all looked like the first their organs were visible through the skin was it something on my end this was my first time ever incubating eggs does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem from happening again?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Those levels all sound right to me. Did you check the incubator several times a day to make sure the temperature and humidity was staying steady? Did you make sure it was in a draft free area? I would definitely get another chick unless you have a new momma that might accept her.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those levels all sound right to me. Did you check the incubator several times a day to make sure the temperature and humidity was staying steady? Did you make sure it was in a draft free area? I would definitely get another chick unless you have a new momma that might accept her.
I don't have any broody hens would I just pick one I know isn't a bully and see if she adopts the little one

·
Registered
430 Posts
She will probably attack the chick and peck at it. Without the hormones that make them broody, I don’t think it’s likely that they will take a baby in. If you happen to get another chick, try to get close in age or size and get Atleast two just in case if one passes, your not back in the same boat

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you decide you wanna try again, if you collect eggs daily, you can just keep them out of the fridge for a few days while you get some eggs together. And then start them all at the same time

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She will probably attack the chick and peck at it. Without the hormones that make them broody, I don't think it's likely that they will take a baby in. If you happen to get another chick, try to get close in age or size and get Atleast two just in case if one passes, your not back in the same boat
that makes sense

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
The temp was at 99.5 until I took them off the automatic egg turner then I upped the temperature to 100.2 which was what the incubator box directions suggested
Did you only use the thermometer that came with the incubator or did you have at least one more other therm and hygrometer in there? Sometimes the therm and hygro that comes with them are not so good. We usually keep two each in a bator and move every other day to a new spot in there. To make sure they are pretty true readings.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you only use the thermometer that came with the incubator or did you have at least one more other therm and hygrometer in there? Sometimes the therm and hygro that comes with them are not so good. We usually keep two each in a bator and move every other day to a new spot in there. To make sure they are pretty true readings.
should I get a thermometer to keep in there the next time I incubate

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
The little chick can be successfully raised. You will need to keep the chick very warm till about a week old. I use a hot water bottle and a teddy bear. I built a crate in which i put growers meel and I would peck with my finger. I would also let the little one walk with me on the floor outside. I would pick a patch of grass and start scratching and peck. Chicks pick up quickly what is expected. But the crate works for the first month. Always make water available. Hens dont feed babies they twach them to eat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The little chick can be successfully raised. You will need to keep the chick very warm till about a week old. I use a hot water bottle and a teddy bear. I built a crate in which i put growers meel and I would peck with my finger. I would also let the little one walk with me on the floor outside. I would pick a patch of grass and start scratching and peck. Chicks pick up quickly what is expected. But the crate works for the first month. Always make water available. Hens dont feed babies they twach them to eat.
So I can add a teddy and a warm bottle on top of already having he chick under a heat lamp

1 - 20 of 48 Posts