The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all! I'm trying to decide what I want to do with my life, but I'm really struggling. I'm currently in 10th grade, so I still have some time to decide, but I'd like to get an idea. My problem is that I have so many interests, that it's hard for me to narrow it down to a list of careers. I'm so undecided on whether I'd like to go to college or not, not only because of money but because I don't like being cooped up in a classroom all day. I'm looking for input/suggestions based on your personal experience/research of things you think I may be interested in. Here's a few things about me:

*I live in northern Michigan, and have no desire to move out of state
*I love animals, all kinds
*I love the outdoors
*Not a fan of younger kids
*I love agriculture/farming
*I currently have or have had: horses, pigs, cows, goats, chickens, ducks, pheasants, quail, sheep, rabbits, dogs, cats, fish, hamsters, mice, rats, guinea pigs. I care for & pay for them myself.
*I love hunting & fishing
*I work/have worked at a dairy farm feeding calves, mowing lawns, butchering rabbits, feeding & breeding rabbits, pet/farm sitting
*I desire to be live a somewhat self sufficient lifestyle
*I feel strongly about advocating for animal welfare and the proper raising of animals

Thank you in advance for any insight/suggestions that you have to offer!

Reactions: Nigerian dwarf goat

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Good afternoon all! I'm trying to decide what I want to do with my life, but I'm really struggling. I'm currently in 10th grade, so I still have some time to decide, but I'd like to get an idea. My problem is that I have so many interests, that it's hard for me to narrow it down to a list of careers. I'm so undecided on whether I'd like to go to college or not, not only because of money but because I don't like being cooped up in a classroom all day. I'm looking for input/suggestions based on your personal experience/research of things you think I may be interested in. Here's a few things about me:

*I live in northern Michigan, and have no desire to move out of state
*I love animals, all kinds
*I love the outdoors
*Not a fan of younger kids
*I love agriculture/farming
*I currently have or have had: horses, pigs, cows, goats, chickens, ducks, pheasants, quail, sheep, rabbits, dogs, cats, fish, hamsters, mice, rats, guinea pigs. I care for & pay for them myself.
*I love hunting & fishing
*I work/have worked at a dairy farm feeding calves, mowing lawns, butchering rabbits, feeding & breeding rabbits, pet/farm sitting
*I desire to be live a somewhat self sufficient lifestyle
*I feel strongly about advocating for animal welfare and the proper raising of animals

Thank you in advance for any insight/suggestions that you have to offer!
Go talk to the people at your local ag extension office. They may have some ideas.

·
8,157 Posts
The most important thing is to do well in school. No matter how boring or yucky. It feels like forever, but it's only a few years then you graduate!

Have you looked at US forest service or Park Ranger? Yes, there are sitting inside classes, but again, it's only awhile then you get to spend the rest of your life outside!

Here is some advice from a personal experience! Whatever you decide you want to do, don't let another person derail you. I was a vet tech and accepted to vet school (long time ago) and my boyfriend said that if I went, he would dump me. Well, very stupid me is not a vet. (Nor am I with him, our marriage lasted 1 year).
You need to follow your dream, if a boyfriend or girlfriend is in the picture and its meant to be, they will be there when you achieve success!

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
You sound like my daughter. She wants to be a goat rancher, she is in 7th grade. She knows for sure she will have a farm, and on that farm, she will have goats lol.
She doesnt want to be a vet, because she says there is no way she will put an animal down.

So, right now, she has landed on business school (4 years in college, my kids are required to go to college or trade school) to learn how to run a small business, and make money on her farm and by selling her goats milk products, meat from butchered animals, (ya, i dont think she will be the one butchering lol!) and veggies from her garden.
Maybe a possibility for you.
I hope your future is Bright and succesful, whatever path you choose!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts