Inexpensive buck housing?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by BeeLady, Jun 13, 2009.

1. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I am considering building cheap, light-weight, portable buck housing for two Nigerian Dwarf bucks out of a plastic 55 gallon barrel similar to this http://www.k-9kondo.com/product_K-9-Kondo_19_0.html . I am not going to buy this kit as I don't think I need all the extras but will add some "feet" to the barrel to keep it from rolling and a deck for play and shade to the top. I think one barrel (23" x 23" x35") would be enough to hold both dehorned goats.

I plan on moving my bucks frequently using wire netting or even putting them in the same pen with the pasture chickens that my son raises who are in electric wire netting. But I need some easy to move housing to go along with it and was wondering if anyone had tried barrels. I think with small holes drilled in the bottom for urine drainage and weekly or more scrubbing out they should work well for the boys.

Any experience or opinions?

2. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    We have a barrel that we cut both ends off of that we use for the goats to play in like a tunnel. They absolutely love it! I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you drill holes for the urine and build something to keep the rain from getting in. I don't think 2 of my goats would want to squeeze in 1 barrel though and I have tiny goats.

3. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Maybe a couple of 55 gallon barrels attached side by side? Lotsa room and you can bolt the plywood directly through the top and into the barrels. Maybe a couple of landscape timbers as runners crosswise on the bottom to raise it up a little if it rains? An old rug attached to the front for winter protection? A ramp up the side like a playground piece? The possibilities are endless!

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    actually thats a pretty neat idea.

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
  6. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

My cheap and easy housing trick is to lurk around my local craigslist and snatch up used Dogloo dog houses. They are very sturdy igloo-shaped dog houses that are AWESOME for small goats. 3 of my Nigi girls can (and often do, even if there is an empty dogloo nearby) fit into 1 large dogloo.

They are light-weight, water-tight, nearly indestructible, and the goats also use them as toys by climbing on top to play king of the hill. Best part is that you can find them used for $20 to $50 all the time.

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    We have a hut i built and a Dogloo and Luna, our nubian doe, and Cleo, her kid, will get into it all the time. They leave the hut for the chickens.