The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am pet sitting for a family that recently got 2 young wethers for pets. These wethers are going to be great for this family, but the family is learning about goats and these 2 wethers are bored. What can I put in with them while I am pet sitting to help entertain the wethers, while the family is away. The one wether got out of some pretty good fencing yesterday and greeted me at the car. I am thinking empty water/vinegar jugs with no lids on? Anything else, or will they just play with it for a little while and leave it. They would really be thrilled with a wooden spool, etc, but not happening today.

·
80 Posts
If you can set up some kind of ramp for them to climb on and jump off of they'd like that I think. We've got a little play area out back for our goatee babies! they might like a good size light weight ball that they can push around, I've seen ours play with it a little bit.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I would love to put a ramp in and let them play with on it then sneak in a small pool with a little water in it and watch the surprise on their little faces when they jump in , lolol Nah , kidding.

You can tie a used plastic milk carton to the fence and they will chew on it and try to pull it off. Mine like to just stand there and make noises with their teeth on it. Its like who can be more annoying game , lol
Just be sure to tie it short and not let it hang because they can get tangled in it. I tie it tight right up to the handle of the milk crate .
I also use a short chain so they dont chew the rope. Its very easy to use a clip to fasten it short to any post or fence link. And the chain makes noise against the plastic that they seem to like for some maddening reason , lolol. A bunch of stainless steel clips hooked together onto the fence makes for a fun toy for them too.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Your the lucky on with the tree stumps , lol
I'll just go tell my hubby , go look for some tree stumps and pick them up and toss a few in the paddocks ;)
Just joking , lol Yeah , anything they can bounce around on and chew makes any goat a happy goat :D

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
hahaha....Laura you want some of our tree stumps? my buckling is bouncing on all the stumps left over from my bf's tree cutting exercise sunday. although, I think they're all going to be removed today, so he won't have as many to jump on after today.....

·
Registered
771 Posts
Instead of putting grain in my goats feeders sometimes ill put it in milk jugs hanging up and they LOVE to play with it to get their grain...

I do the same with my horses. My one guy will be entertained for literally HOURS on it...My other horses (maybe a little smarter than him) will play for maybe half an hour, figure they aren't getting as much out of it and walk away.

My goats also like buckets, rubber feed pans, to jump on or lay in...

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I made a toy for the goats. I took an old animal cracker jar, poked holes in it, filled it with sunflower seeds and some jingles (just to make it more fun, just be sure the jingles won't fall out of the holes). I screwed the lid on, and some of the smarter herd members figured out it was super fun.

·
11,082 Posts
Yep, that's Clair! She was very clever and figured that toy out quick. Patti was more interested in loving. :laugh:

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
OMG, that is too funny Danielle! Now I'm going to have to go find at least 4 big jars and try it with mine!

·
Registered
448 Posts
A friend uses those big exercise balls and hangs them up for head butting.bedding hay bails are also good for jumping on or big rocks,old tractor tyres or logs,teejae

·
Registered
448 Posts
m thinking one of those big water bottles would be strong enough,Ill have to do this when the kids are born :cool: teejae

·
Registered
361 Posts
Today I had one of the big rubber trays like you use for mixing concrete up at the barn. When I was done, I flipped it over for the babies to play on. They had a blast. It was low enough, and stable enough, that they felt very secure on it, playing king of the mountain.

·
11,082 Posts
The only negative thing about the toy I made, is you can't leave it overnight, else the ants will get into it. :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts