Infected burnt horn bud?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Jul 18, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So I haven't seen this before but I think one of my goats has an infection in one of the buds I burned. The cap kinda came off and there was a lot of white puss material under it. My mom cleaned it out real good and it seems like he was a hole in his head! Ick! I put she put iodine on it to try and dry it out. I will try and get a picture tomorrow.

Other than the nasty burnt horn bud he seems fine. Eating, drinking, playing acting normal. Should I be worried?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Have u checked his temp? We had this happen a couple times when the vet disbudded our kids. If he's running a high temp then some antibiotics would be good. Someone told me (the gal who disbuds our kids) that sometimes if you go too deep in the wrong area, then u can hit the nasal cavity, that could explain the icky stuff. Does it smell funny, like necrotic? That happened w/ one of our kid's disbudding.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    had that happen a couple times but I used rubbing alcohol to clean it. It healed up fine.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    No, no bad smell, I didn't get a temp. I know we didn't go to deep. Always very careful about that. There was a bottom to it, it was just deeper than my mom originally burned. Oh and there was no nasty discharge or anything from his nose.

Oh my mom also used hydrogen peroxide to clean it out. She did everything for him since I can't really hold him or do much with my finger.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes that stuff to -- wonderful. Forgot that i used that too.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How is that horn doing? I could never imagine having to burn the horns.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's looking a lot better. :thumb:

Believe me, I hate burning. But I also don't like it when they get you with their horns.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's great! Glad he's doing better. . . . I hate disbudding too so I pay for someone else to do it for me! :) I'm a wimp, wish I could do it myself but it's too scary w/ the little goats, big goats would be easy but the little ones make me too nervous. . . .