Infected leg...help!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lil’Barn, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Lil’Barn

Lil’Barn New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Odessa, Fl
    Hey all!! I have a Nigerian whose leg I have been battling and losing for past month or so. His dew claw(not sure of proper name in goats) was raised up and the skin between the claw and Hoove on the posterior leg is boggy, thick crusted oozy. It hurts him to want on it. I have been cleaning it with soap or hibiclens, drying and trying topical antibiotic ointment, wonder dust and started injections of Liquamycin LA today. Any recommendations?!?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Without seeing pics, but from description, it may be mites.

Have you tried treating for it, if not, I would initially remove all the scabs, scrape to new clean skin, then put Nustock on the area, every 3 days.

Use a Ivomectrin mite pour on or inject SQ Ivomec cattle injectable, 1 cc per 40 lbs.

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Poor guy, welcome to The Goat Spot.
    Pictures are really important here. I know you need to make 5 posts so you can upload them though. So if you reply to these and do an introduction you'll be able to post a picture of his hoof area.
    Nustock is a great suggestion by @toth boer goats. It sounds like it could be mites and that stuff works wonders with the topical ivermectin.
    Good luck

Moers kiko boars, MadHouse and NDinKY like this.
  4. Lil’Barn

Lil’Barn New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Odessa, Fl
    great I will get some and try— I will post a pic once I can. Thanks!

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  5. Lil’Barn

Lil’Barn New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Odessa, Fl
    I will get photos to post shortly. Thanks for your attention

6. Lil’Barn

Lil’Barn New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Odessa, Fl
    I have not thought of mites probably because I didn’t know about mites... thanks and I will get pics

7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    That does sound like it could be mites. My buck had a terrible case last winter. The injectable ivermectin plus NuStock worked wonders. The injectable ivermectin does sting though, so if you give it be ready for a dramatic response.

Hope you can get pics up so we have a better idea what’s going on.

8. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hey there..welcome to TGS! So glad you are here. Yes pictures really help! Your info was great! Please keep us updated Including recovery!

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  9. Lil’Barn

Lil’Barn New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Odessa, Fl
    Thanks for all the advice—attached are photos—purple is just the blu-kote I have been applying. Let me know what y’all think!!! D8F801E9-B27A-4223-9BD4-A3CEA617A8C9.jpeg 3CEF5F1C-DD93-4F3D-A423-748079A23156.jpeg D8F801E9-B27A-4223-9BD4-A3CEA617A8C9.jpeg 3CEF5F1C-DD93-4F3D-A423-748079A23156.jpeg

MadHouse, Moers kiko boars and Kass like this.
  10. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Those dews need some work done to them. also what do the actual hooves look like too? They are long and it looks like some hoof rot going on as well. Can you keep the goat is a stall with clean dry bedding until the cut is healed more? If not i would pad it with thick gauze and put vet wrap on it to keep it clean and dry. Changing as often as is needed... probably a few times a day at least.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree the dewclaws need to be trimmed way down.

That is a typical spot/area of wound for mites.
    Did you remove scabs?

I would try Nu-stock on it.

Doesn't appear to be hoof rot, unless the hooves smell awful and have pockets.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  12. Lil’Barn

Lil’Barn New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Odessa, Fl
    Thanks.i trimmed the dew claws way down —I didn’t know I was supposed to trim those—I do their hooves but was unaware of dew claw trimming—will add that to my repertoire of goat knowledge.

13. Lil’Barn

Lil’Barn New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Odessa, Fl
    Hey thanks, I did remove some s about—I trimmed the dew claw almost all the off and shoulders get the nustock and ivermectin on Wednesday. I appreciate the advice.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California