Infected Udder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by tamidbradley, Jan 1, 2017.

1. tamidbradley

tamidbradley New Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I'm hoping someone can give me some advise. I have a female goat that has not had a baby for many years. She is at least 10 years old. In the spring I noticed that she had lost a lot of weight and after further observation, found that she had a hole in her udder. Her udder was also very hard. Felt like there was a large mass. There was a lot of discharge coming out of the hole. Sometimes its a liquid, sometimes its like cottage cheese and sometimes it looks like flesh that is turning grey/black. Long story short, I have had the vet out 3 times. The first time, I was given antibiotics to inject and told to flush her udder thru the hole daily with Betadine/Saline solution. There was no change. Vet came out again and did a bacterial test. There were 3 types of bacteria in her udder. Based on this, the vet provided another round of shots. There was no change. Lastly I was given a round of cortisone injections. There was no change. Since then I have been flushing it and spraying Vetricyn in the hole and around the outside and giving her a half bute a day. This morning I noticed that the end of her teat is turning grey/black. I know this has to be so painful for her so I'm considering just putting her down. I don't know what else to do. I have been fighting this for 6 months. That being said, she is eating, in fact she is pretty chubby and as loving as ever. Hoping someone out there can give me some advise or suggestions other than having her udder removed. I can't afford to do that. Thanks so much.

2. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    You can have the vet perform a mastectomy, if that is something you might be interested in.

The vet can give her IV antibiotics, which will be a better way to get the medication where it needs to be.

Another round of antibiotic infusions may be done, also.

Vetrycin is not an antibiotic, you might want to pack the wound with an antibiotic salve.

3. The-Goat-Posse

The-Goat-Posse Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Have you tried using ToDay? I'm not sure how effective that would be, but it's worth a try.... Another thing you can try are warm salt water soaks. That might help with the infection. 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt for every 8oz of water. Warm it up as hot as you can get it without being unbearably hot, then soak cotton balls or paper towels in the water and hold it to the hole in her udder. Try to do this for five to ten minutes, swapping out cotton balls/paper towels when they cool down. If you try that, make sure you use sea salt. Other salts will just irritate the area. I really hope you find something that works for her, keep us updated.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

She needs the udder removed at this point.