The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! A few weeks ago my goat was attacked by three dogs. He had a few nasty puncture wounds, but mostly the other wounds were superficial. We have been keeping the wounds clean, and he had been favoring his back right leg. He had seemed he was on the mend, doing really well with being up and walking, eating drinking normally. We were double checking his leg the other day an noticed that while the swelling is completely gone, his wounds on that leg seem to be infected. I live in California, so coming by antibiotics isn't easy unless we get to a vet. I have on hand fishbiotic amoxicillin 500mg tablets and fishbiotic penicillin 250mg tablets. I was going to give him penicillin orally, but I am not 100% sure how much to give him. Even worse, I am not sure I should. Any advice here?

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
I agree.. he also need a tetanus antitoxin shot especially if not up to date on CD& T
Oral antibiotics can run havvoc on his rumen and won't be highly effective.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,632 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened! A vet really would be best. He could even have broken bones in his leg.

Don't clean the wound with anything harsh like rubbing alcohol or peroxide, that can slow down healing and damage the growing tissue.

Have you taken steps to ensure that the goat is safe from another attack?

·
Administrator
85,630 Posts
I agree with the others, a vet would be wise.

Another thing is to make a light tea color iodine/water solution.

Remove the infected scabs, rub, push on the area, squeeze as much pus out as you can.

Get a semi big syringe and a infusion tip so you can penetrate deeper and flush the wounds out a few times.
Squeeze again flush again.
Do this 2 x a day.

Squeeze, rub the spot to try to get out all pus daily, until no more stink and pus comes out. Then flush a couple more days thereafter.

If you have today/today mastitis treatment, you can put a small amount in a new syringe with infusion tip and put it into the wounds after flushing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts