Infertility in 10mon-old Buck?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by kornhypknotic, Oct 25, 2009.

1. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Huxley was donated to our farm when he was just three weeks old. He was given to us because of his superior genetics and his previous owner wanted him to have the very best care. :) I raised him myself and we put him out with 5 does in August so that he would be ready when they cycled. The does did not come into heat until the beginning of October and Huxley was thrilled to breed them! :cool:

It's been a few weeks now and all the does that we watched him service are coming back into heat. We are worried that Huxley may be sterile. Our other buck had successfully bred 12 does before he was 10 months-old . . . Hux hasn't bred anyone yet :shrug:

I've examined his scrotum and testes which appear to be normal, and I've seen him extend his penis beyond the prepuce so it's not too short. The only thing I've always noticed with Huxley is that he appears to be sort of thin but he doesn't have a high worm count. We feed him grain once a day and then he is out on pasture with his girls. He also doesn't seem to pee on himself quite as much as our previous buck did.

:GAAH: What is this kid's problem!? :help:

Edit: I forgot to mention that the girls don't seem to like him much either. They run away from him all the time and he spends a lot of time chasing them.

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

What breed is he? Some animals are slower to mature, and even though they seem eager to do the deed they just cant figure it out right away. Young bucks can be really bad about not paying attention too. sometimes they just seem to get bored and not be able to figure things out for a heat cycle or two. Nubians tend to be the worst about this. Swiss breeds tend to play around less.
    beth

3. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    He's Saanen. And since you mentioned "playing around" I remembered that for the first month that Hux was in with the girls there were about 15 wethers in with him and we had to remove all the wethers because Hux was "playing around" with them more than the girls. :roll: Now it's just Hux and 5 other does.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He is still young.... most of the time with youngsters ...they miss... when they are peeing on themselves ..until they get the hang of it or.....young bucks don't have the strong musk smell yet...but... he will smell in time....Also because he is still young ....the girls treat him... as a kid and really don't take him serious.... does like that masculine strong musky smell .....in which turns them on more...
    Also.....sometimes the does will have false heats and not take....then... will come in again and conceive the next cycle....

The vet can test his sperm count... if you want to be sure quickly....if he is able to make babies.... :wink: good luck

5. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Do you think it matters that we still have the buck we used last year on the property? He (Rasputin :p ) is quite pungent. Huxley's does talk to Rasputin at dusk sometimes, calling back and forth, but Ras cannot reach them. :shrug:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well when I had one buck...i couldnt get him to breed, he seemed to be afraid of the does (which were a bit smaller than him) and woulndt breed one of them...he didnt even pee on himeself (which my parent thought was cool :roll:) but when I got my new buck, they must have had a disscusion, because now he's yellow, and breeds every doe that comes into heat (which isnt necessarily the thing i wanted lol)

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have found that the earlier breedings dont always take but later once the heats are real strong the girls will settle. I would give him another go around with the girls before changing anything

8. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Thanks everyone! :grouphug: I'll give Huxley another shot.

I just heard from the people working this weekend that Rasputin (our older buck) came to visit Huxley's girls in the night and the two of them must have had a pretty intense fight. Both are covered in blood from knocking each others scurs off and they're pretty shaken up. Rasputin's head is still bleeding a little :sigh: poor guy. At least Huxley tried to defend his turf though :greengrin: . Hopefully Ras didn't break poor Hux's spirit :p

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Another thought is because of his inexperience, he could be feeling a little over whelmed. You said you had a group of girls in with him. It might be he needs just one or two at a time. Like someone said he is still a baby, and it may be that they are treating him like a baby not really showing interest in him as a buck yet.
    beth