The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had one goat wethered before and I had the vet remove them. He charges $75. Recently I have experienced a few kiddings and have decided to keep one of the boys. I know that some people band their kids themselves. I have banded my calves before but never a goat. I need to know what age I should apply band and also I am interested in opinions and info and what you think about banding and if I should do it or pay the $75 to have vet do it?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
banding is all I ever do. Its safe and easy to accomplish. Many breeders choose this option.

use the green bands. I choose to band between 7-12 weeks of age depending on how mature they are.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
banding is all I ever do. Its safe and easy to accomplish. Many breeders choose this option.

use the green bands. I choose to band between 7-12 weeks of age depending on how mature they are.
I might have to turn my buckling into a wether, he's 3 months. I really don't want to but he's proving already that he's going to be quite the hand full. I've never banded before either, I'm assuming you slip the green band with (can't remember the name of that tool) over and around his sack? That is what I saw on the Utube video, is this accurate? Just checking before venturing out.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
elastrator is the name of the tool

have someone hold the boy so his jewels hand down then being careful not to stretch the skin as well as pulling any teats into the band slip the band over and then roll off the elastrator. He will walk funny for a day and may cry out. Sometimes depending on the boy I will give banamine. Some handle it better then others.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts

have someone hold the boy so his jewels hand down then being careful not to stretch the skin as well as pulling any teats into the band slip the band over and then roll off the elastrator. He will walk funny for a day and may cry out. Sometimes depending on the boy I will give banamine. Some handle it better then others.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

How much banamine would u give to kid?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts