The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Ammonium Cloride is used to treat and prevent Urinary Calculi in male goats. I have read to give the AC daily as a preventative and I've also read that AC should be used only as a treatment when needed. What is the answer? Should I give it daily / weekly or should I keep it for when they are showing symptoms? Thanks for the info.

Susan

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I mix in with minerals so that the goats get it every day. Mix at 1.5 pounds of AC to 25 pounds of mineral. This works well for me .
You do Not want symptoms! Urinating a stone is very painful. It is best to prevent. Sometimes symptoms are not caught by owner and surgery is required, don't put your goat through that.

Reactions: NigerianNewbie

·
274 Posts
Welcome! :) I give it to my bucks/wethers once a week on their grain - 1 tsp per goat. I was doing it everyday but decided to try weekly and it has worked for me for the last year. You don't want to wait until symptoms, by then it may be too late. We have 2 wethers that got UC and had to have the surgery to "re-route" their plumbing. It was the only way to save their lives! Keep an eye on the Phosphorous/calcium ratio too in their food. One last thing, make sure not to give baking soda at the same time as the AC - it blocks the effects of the AC. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
With the males, especially wethers, feeding them in a way that pays attention to a calcium to phosphorus ratio of 2:1 goes a long way towards preventing stone build up as well. Start with the hay, alfalfa as an example, has more calcium content than grass hay, forage has a high content of phosphorous. If they receive commercial feed, the ratios are listed on the bag. When my guys get more browse, (small amounts during the winter) they also get a little extra alfalfa pellets to balance it out. In addition to tweaking their feed, there is also AC in the loose minerals provided for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts