information needed about horns

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by carlsmom, Jul 13, 2008.

1. carlsmom

carlsmom New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    I'm having a problem with my 6 month old nubian, The lady I got him from said she burned his horns the morning I got him, he was already 4 weeks old . she said they would fall off in a couple weeks, but they never did. I got him to be a companion for my horse, and now my poor horse has scrapes all over , he really likes to butt and push her when she is laying down. I'm afraid he will poke an eye out. So I put some rubber hose over his horns for now but is there anything else I can do?
    NOw a few questions about horns, Are the horns alive? I know they are at the base. but do they have feelings in the tips? could the horns be cut back and rounded off? Thanks for your time.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The very tips about 1/2 inch down can be clipped off or you can push tennis balls on them. Most goats don't "butt" with the tips of their horns though, they tend to push with the base.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes you can round the tip but dont lop it off midway as the horn has blood running though it - alive as you put it

As to the burning -- 4 weeks is way late for a buckling/wether. It wasnt done right so that is why he has horns growing.

Welcome to TGS :wave:

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Are they "real" horns or scurs? When I asked my vet about my bucklings scurs, she just reached over and broke them off! I was so surprised! They then grew back, he had a "fight" with another buck and broke them off again. I think his scurs are hollow inside, really strange. Anyway, maybe you can break them off?

5. carlsmom

carlsmom New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Thanks for your replies. But I'm sure they are real horns, If they were burned the day I got him , I would think I would have seen some kind of trauma to the area. The little horns he had never fell off.
    I'm happy with the soft rubber hose pieces that I have put on them, But to keep them on I have to really cram them on . Is it OK to have something on his horns so tight? I don't want him to be hurt. So far he ain't complaining!
    Thanks

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The other thing that you can do if need be is have him surgically disbudded from a vet or you can band the horns with the same bands that you use for casteration.

I personally have banded 1 of my goat's horns and I will not do it again - but I had a bad experience, when others have had great results.

7. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I have banded scurs on a buck and 1 turned out fantastic the other ended up coming off and bleeding. But now that side still grows but he lives with another buck so he keeps breaking it off. (no bleeding) Don't know if I would do it again. Never liked surgical removal as they have holes into their sinus until it seals up.
    Sue

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    If she had burned them off...you would have seen kinda large black round burn marks on his head! No doubt about it, it would be noticeable.

9. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    I would band them as well. I've had good results with that method. At 6 months old, his horns aren't finished growing so you may have to continue to manage them after they fall off and the base is still growing but it can be done.

Kristen