The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that most people use 40% Dimethox orally for coccidia prevention.

I'd like to know if anyone injects it either SQ or IM and if so, what is the goat dosage per lb of goat.

It is a really tough chore to get it down goats orally. It is a super vile tasting medicine and my goats almost choke on it.

Since it is meant to be used on cattle by injection, could we inject it into goats with success.

DonnaBelle

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
The oral dose is 1cc/16lbs. That's like only 2 to 3cc for the average two month old that gets diarrhea at my farm. I stick my thumb in one side of their mouth and the needle-less syringe in the other side with their head tipped back and squirt. At that small amount I just don't have any spillage. We all have our own opinions, but I believe my kids would prefer this to an injection. I'm not sure it would work as good injected either. Cocci is in the digestive track.

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
I agree with tenacross...cocci needs to be treated in the digestive tack...Have you looked into Baycox? its not as hard for them to take..only 1 cc per 5# ...so much easier to deal with ...frome I use it once only if I see no symptoms...2 x ten days apart if I do...I will retreat as needed...One 200 ml bottle did 33 kids last season..well worth the money IMO :D

·
Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!
825 Posts
I'm not contradicting cuz I realized afterwards that I should have done oral but..

I used the 40% 6 wks ago... 1cc per 5lbs day 1 & 1cc per 10lbs day 2-3. I injected IM (Ok really hubby did this, read wrong notes but.... all the same it happened)

They were clear of any cocci signs the morning after 1st shot & vet said the "mixed" fecal was good...

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
serityfamrnm: did you have a fecal done before doing the treatment...the problem with doing it the day after is goat shed eggs in cycles....if we do a fecal three to four days to a week apart we get a better feel to what's truly going on...when I we had a cocci issue last season and switched to Baycox..my vet had me bring in fecal samples a week after then another week after that to get a running number...our before count was off the charts...one week count was light to moderate and week two was all but clear...Like you Im not trying to contrdict or minimize your results...just trying to get a clear picture....its all a learningthing..we are told one thing for so long we forget new ways are offered...so Im always open to hear new info...;)

·
Registered
29,931 Posts
I order from horseprerace.com....i:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts