The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi posted a while ago about my goats loosing hair, and thought either Mites or Mineral deficiency. I had the vet come down and look at them, he thought it’s possibly mites but he’ Not sure he did do a skin scraping, but didn’t find any,but he said they’re not always right.
Is ok to treat for mites if you’re not sure if they have mites?
If it is, is pour on Ivermectin a option? Has anyone had any luck with the pour on with mites? Or is Ivermectin injections the only way to get rid of them?
If the pour on Ivermectin works for goat mites what is the dosage.
The vet gave them some Ivermectin orally while he was here, but I read that usually doesn’t kill the mites, since he gave them some orally should I wait to give them any other form of Ivermectin for a week or two?

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Hi there, you’ll Probably have to wait 10 days after the treatment your vet did.
Can you post pictures so we can see what you’re seeing? Is it red and scabby with pustules? Or are they just itchy and losing hair?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The brown and black one are just loosing hair don’t seem itchy and their skin looks fine and healthy,the white one my weather has white flaky, dry skin all over him that’s what made the vet think it was mites.
They aren’t loosing as much as they were but it’s still pretty bad. I’ll try to get a pic of his skin later today, he’s not the tamest goat, so I’ll see if I can catch him, any advice for taming a goat we had him since July 2020 and I tried so hard to tame him, but failed. The brown one is his sister and she was just as wild, but now is one of my nicest goats.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
70 Posts
One of my boys was losing some hair but it was scabby from him scratching it a lot with his horns/rubbing up against stuff. Vet said it is fungal and to spray iodine on it if i wanted to, but said it normally clears up on it's own in a few weeks and he says it more often in the winter with less sun to kill those types of things off. It does look to be getting better, but not ideal to be losing hair with this cold snap we've had the last couple weeks.

Doesn't sound like it's what you're dealing with, but wanted to chime in, in case it's helpful in the future.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of my boys was losing some hair but it was scabby from him scratching it a lot with his horns/rubbing up against stuff. Vet said it is fungal and to spray iodine on it if i wanted to, but said it normally clears up on it's own in a few weeks and he says it more often in the winter with less sun to kill those types of things off. It does look to be getting better, but not ideal to be losing hair with this cold snap we've had the last couple weeks.

Doesn't sound like it's what you're dealing with, but wanted to chime in, in case it's helpful in the future.
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.