The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 6 kids, I've given 9 CD/T injections so far, and have 3-4 kids with bumps at the injection site, about 1" around, with bare skin and a scab in the middle - a bad ratio! I don't understand it, as I've tried really hard to give the injections subq correctly (22 g 3/4" needles). Do these sores require more than peroxide and triple antibiotic ointment? The vet is coming tomorrow for another topic, and I'm wondering if he needs to look at them. I would rather treat myself. But if they need curettage, I haven't done that myself before. How do I know if they will clear up, or if curettage is required?

·
Super Moderator
83,819 Posts
You have to make sure, you get it way into the skin.
Not just the tip of the needle in there.

But there are skin layers too.
If you get it too deep, into the layers, it can leave a lump as well.

I don't worry about the lumps, if it happens.
I put it in the armpit area, so I know where I give it.

·
14,774 Posts
I agree with Pam, you have to get it down under those layers of skin. It can be so frustrating! We give ours on the back in between the shoulders. Lift skin up and away from the body, hold it, then insert needle towards the bottom, make sure it goes through the tough layers of skin, then inject - if the vaccine doesn't go in easily with little pressure, you need to pull out and redo because your not in the right place or through all of the skin. It should go in smoothly.

BRAND totally makes a difference IMO. I can't remember which bottle we used that every single baby got a huge knot or abscess - I want to say it came in a larger dosage which is why we had bought it that year, around 20 doses maybe? Anyway, we switched to the orange labeled GOAT CD/T at Tractor Supply and since that change about 3 years ago we have had no abscesses, and if they get knots they are generally small and go away quickly.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks HoosierShadow. I've been doing the shot between shoulder blades also, and I am using that Tractor Supply brand because of less abscesses, but this year has resulted in the most I've ever had, despite how careful I am to try to get the injection right where it is supposed to be. The GoatVac CD/T, vs the BarVac CDT.
So I don't know. I have 3 more shots to give this week and again will do my best.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts