Injured doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by GoofyGoat, Feb 21, 2019.

1. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Hi all,
    I went out to take water to my goats and noticed Sybil is favoring her left front leg and her right eye looks swollen and like you could take her FAMACHA without pulling the lower lid down. She's about 4 and is possibly pregnant due the end of March as her last possible Kidding date.

What should I do to help her? I really can't get her to the vet until tomorrow afternoon if she should go. I would if there's no other option of course but emergency calls are not in the budget right now.

Suggestions please!,

Attached Files:

2. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Can I give her banamine? She is low goat on the totem pole so I'm sure she was probably bullied. I put her in our kidding stall with another doe who's mellow so she wouldn't be alone.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes. You can give Banamine.

4. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Thanks

mariarose likes this.
  5. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    When we led the everyone back to the "barn" the queen attacked Sybil viciously. After getting her off her I brought Sybil into the house since I only have two areas in the shed and there are already seven others sharing the space.(15x20) it's too cramped which I believe is part of the problem. Now, the queen is in solitary confinement, ugh!
    Hopefully the weather will cooperate soon so I can get my barn fixed and the fencing fixed. I was walking the pen and noticed that one corner has been washed away to the point of the spade on the t-post is exposed.
    I'm so sick of rain!

6. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    with you there..good God

GoofyGoat likes this.
  7. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I have a good size welt on my leg from trying to break it up.

8. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Poor doe! (and poor you!!) We have a small set-up. So I totally know the "too crowded and cranky" routine. If you have time, you can hold an ice pack on her eye and/or her injured leg for a few minutes. Try to come back and do that 2 or 3 times before turning in for the evening, if possible.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  9. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    @groovyoldlady
    Poor Sybil is just shaking and quivering, she's in the house now in her own crate resting. I'll try putting ice on her leg but it's not really swelling yet. I'm hoping the banamine will make her more comfortable. I flushed her eye with sterile saline water and I'm watching it closely.
    I'll be fine but will have a bruise with more colors than the Arizona sunset before it's gone. I'm more worried about this sudden aggression by that blankety blank queen doe.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

groovyoldlady likes this.
  10. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Maybe isolating the evil Queen for a while will help her to chill out a bit.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  11. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    She's in solitary confinement in the kidding pen ...I'm just really concerned about this sudden change in her behavior it's not like her usually she's a bit bossy but not vicious.

12. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

13. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    The herd queen no her due date came and went on the 15th

14. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Looks like I'll be taking Sybil to the vet tomorrow she's not putting much weight on her leg and her eye is puffy I just hope she'll be alright since she's supposed to be about a month to 5 weeks out from her due date. Well at least I guess we can confirm she's preggo as long as we're there. She still looks thin to me so I'm questioning it.
    I just hope it's not broken ...I've run out of places to keep goats. I still have Drom and the triplets. In my library now Sybil in the dining room...ugh! Sooner or later it's gotta stop raining. Right? (End rant)

Sfgwife likes this.
  15. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Oh no. I am sorry! Hope it is just tender and bruised. You sound like me with the goats in the house. As it was rainin and cold this mornin i told paul welp we got the bathroom and laundry room if dora kids and the weather is bunky still. Turned out to be a beautiful afternoon and night though. The rain that was sposed come back didnt. We even put gracie and the two kids back in their barn.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  16. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Well, it's not going to stop raining today :( the rest of the week looks like it'll be ok maybe. Hopefully I can tackle the fencing and barn. That way I can give them more space to breathe and hopefully it'll calm things down some.

Sfgwife likes this.
  17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did you see a vet?
    Hope things are OK?

18. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Thanks for asking!
    She has a small fracture in her eye orbit and her leg is banged up but not broken. She's going to be ok with time. I've put her in the kidding stall with a heat lamp in the corner so she can move under it as needed and will be letting her dictate how much activity she needs by opening up both sides of the barn during the day so she can walk around while everyone's in the run. The queen is now in the crate in the house at night so hopefully she'll get knocked down a peg while I'm deciding what to do with her.

Sfgwife and Dwarf Dad like this.
  19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So glad she will be OK.
    Poor girl, I feel bad she was hurt so badly.
    Prayers sent for fast healing.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  20. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

@GoofyGoat I think, from what I read here, you have come up with the same housing solution I would be utilizing.

You are doing the best you can. And now you have made everyone safe. Maybe not happy, but safe.

Goats really can cause true harm to one another.

GoofyGoat and toth boer goats like this.