The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to goats so I need some help with one of my goats. My goat has a superficial wound on its right front leg that has been partially scabbed over. I rescued this goat and it's sibling from a neglect situation and it came with the wound. The goat keeps reopening the wound by scratching and biting. This wound has been on the goat for around 1 month. We are treating it with antibiotic creams, wound cleaning sprays, and using Alusheild and vet wrap to cover it. The goat keeps getting the Alusheild and wraps off. I really need some help in figuring out how to successfully heal the wound. All suggestions are welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Hi, I'm new to goats so I need some help with one of my goats. My goat has a superficial wound on its right front leg that has been partially scabbed over. I rescued this goat and it's sibling from a neglect situation and it came with the wound. The goat keeps reopening the wound by scratching and biting. This wound has been on the goat for around 1 month. We are treating it with antibiotic creams, wound cleaning sprays, and using Alusheild and vet wrap to cover it. The goat keeps getting the Alusheild and wraps off. I really need some help in figuring out how to successfully heal the wound. All suggestions are welcome!
It is a true wound or is it on the knees? Goats will get what you might think a sc on their knees from the way they lay. Have you checked for mites or lice since it is scratching?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The goats do have lice, which is irritating the wound. It is a true wound above her knees that bleeds and is scabbing. I’ll try to get a picture of it

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
For the lice, you can use Ivermec 1cc per 22 lbs topically like you would use advantage on a dog (Down the topline) Since he/she is really itchy try some bendryl .

·
Registered
30,638 Posts
I would not wrap this wound..air will help it heal. I would clean it well and dry it and apply Vetericyn or Nustock on it 2-3 times a day. You can make a necklace style cone that will allow her to eat but not reach to bite at it. Use PVC pipe and wire.

Wooden_neck_cradle.jpg

·
Registered
30,638 Posts
another thing to watch for with that wound is proud flesh.

"proud flesh is the excessive growth of the connective tissue and blood vessels that begin to fill in a healing wound. In severe cases, the mounds of pink tissue can take on a cauliflower-like appearance and protrude beyond the surface of the skin. New skin is unable to grow over the tissue, and healing stalls. Proud flesh develops most frequently in wounds on the lower legs, but under the right circumstances it can appear anywhere on the body"

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Does it stink?

If so, it needs cleaning up.

Other wise, a cone of shame or something like pictured above.

Blue spray daily.

So it is clear, it is Ivomectrin, pour on, not Ivomec injection down the top line for mites or lice.

She may be itching because it is healing though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts