The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just went outside and found my goat laying down, with puncture wounds to his back legs/testicles. Im not sure if anythings broken or not, normally he wont allow human contact, but right now hes to tired or lethargic to care, im not sure what to do, or what happened, the injuries don't seem too bad, but im worried since he wont move. Is there anything I can do to help or make him more comfortable, and how do I tell if anything is broken. Ive dealt with injured dogs before so I am comfortable doing emergency care, but hes my first goat and im not sure what to do and I really don't want to lose him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the puncture wounds on on his inner thighs,not too many holes, but he has what looks like stretch marks by them and the skin is kinda purply. unlikely to be snakebite, weve never had a rattlesnake here, I thought he was caught in fencing, but that's not the case.

·
Registered
30,619 Posts
a picture will help us ... what kind of puncture? dog bite? snake? did he get tangled in wire?

If you can shave the area and get a good look...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i will try to go take a picture, i am horrible with technology though and im not sure i can figure out how to post. Im thinking its either from dogs or fencing, hes not tangled in fencing, but hes laying buy some. i will go try to take a picture.

·
Registered
30,619 Posts
I would give a shot of Banamine to help with pain and swelling, clean the wounds and give a shot of Tetanus antitoxin...B complex is good in times of stress...
Keep him hydrated ...
If the punctures are deep, pencillin might be needed..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can you buy banamine from tractor supply, i know i can get penicillin there, would blu-cote be helpful, ive used it many times on horses and dogs... what about doxycycline, i have some leftover from my dog, but im not not sure if its ok for goats?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
clean the wounds with iodine water use a syringe and flush them thoroughly. Since banamine is a prescription drug and you dont have any, use children's ibuprofen at 2x the dose for his weight. adult aspirin will work too but we have found that ibuprofen is more palatable (they will suck it right down) works faster and lasts longer. the wounds look like bites or barbed wire puncture wounds. if he hasn't had a cdt shot this year give it to him. Prop him up wirth a bale of hay so that his legs are under him. I wouldnt wait to start him on penicillin. if he hasnt had his rabies shot in the last 2 years, he needs one as you dont know what caused the wounds. check on him every hour or so and make sure he isnt out flat. prop him up with a bale of hay to keep on his chest with his legs under him. hope he makes it!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, i don't have iodine, would alchohol or hydrogen peroxide work? im kinda stuck on getting him anything until my roommate or husband gets here, i cant even move him since im pregnant. he hasn't had any shots yet, so i will get on that. luckily i have baby asprin... is there anything i can do to help perk back up some, i also have Neosporin, and i can get blu-kote, if that will help.

·
Registered
30,619 Posts
I agree with TDG..have someone stop on the way home, Dont use peroxide but iodine solution should work..flush with saline solution..I would give 2 baby aspirin for him, Penicillin is 1 cc per 20# sub Q...be sure to pull the plunger back ..if you see blood, re adjust..no blood, good to go.....Its hard to say what got him since the punctures seem so even..like bob wire...he will need a tetanus no matter what..

best wishes

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
alcohol will burn!!!! i have used peroxide but it really should be iodine based. you can use salt water to wash the wounds until someone gets there with iodine oops sorry cathy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks everyone, unfortunately i don't have a phone at the moment, but someone should be home soon, so i will have them go pick up some iodine when they get here, is there anything i can do to get his energy back up, Gatorade or what not...

·
Registered
30,619 Posts
I would give a good dose of B complex sub Q, it is th best vitamine during stress also here is a home made electrolytes he might enjoy

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses or what ever molasses you have or honey
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks, i will definatly try the homemade electrolytes, the fact that hes so lethargic has got me more freaked out than the actual injuries. i just gave him some baby ibprophen, once someone gets here i plan on moving him and getting iodine.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts