injured teat orifice

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kristikat, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Kristikat

Kristikat New Member

Apr 15, 2020
    Missouri Ozarks
    I have a doe who has both mastitis & an injured teat end. To milk her I must remove a scab at the teat orifice. At next milking it is again scabbed over. There has to be a way to get her milked & treated when necessary without the pain of removing a scab each time. Also, there needs to be a way for it to heal. My vet was not help in finding a way to treat this, so I searched on line & found 2 possible products--1) Dr. Naylor Teat Dilators & 2) Dr. Larson's Teat Tubes. Does anyone have any experience with either of these products?

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    The teat dialators do work well. I have never used the tubes.
    You will need: alcohol wipes, teat dialators and teat tape. (Paper tape, like surgical tape)

After you milk her out and give her the mastitis treatment, wipe the teat end again with an alcohol wipe (it burns, but very important to not get more bacteria in the teat orifice). Insert the dialator, making sure it is covered with the lubricant and goes straight in until the little ball end is flush with the teat end. Then, wipe the lubricant stuff off the teat itself, with a wet wipe, put a strip of tape over the teat end, do it a few different ways, you want the insert to stay, but don't make the tape super tight over the ball. Then, a few tape wraps around the teat, again, not too tight as it needs to expand.

ksalvagno likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    You might try heavy lubricant like vaseline to prevent a scab and wrap gentle to keep it clean.

Sfgwife and ksalvagno like this.
  4. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I would just do a bit of either an udder cream or maybe nustock. Not sure on the nustock though. But i *think* it would be ok because it is for things like scabs. I say this because of the added mastitis.

My cricket gets dry dry there sometimes and it kinda does the crust over thing. I just make sure to dab her udder cream on the tips of her teats good every time i milk her.

I use the udder cream recipe from weed em and reap.

8ADB2C64-8E73-423F-9558-47767C6767C7.jpeg

5. Kristikat

Kristikat New Member

Apr 15, 2020
    Missouri Ozarks
    I have used the Dr. Naylor teat dilators for a couple of days now & the scab on the end of her teat is gone & the area appears to be healing. However, now when I remove the teat dilators to milk, milk starts to run out all by itself. Will this go away after I quit using the teat dilators? I am leary of just stopping, because if the orifice is not closing properly, I fear a new case of mastitis in all this mud from the almost non-stop rain this spring

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Yes, once you quit using the teat dialators, the muscles will close off the opening and go back to regular, but after you milk, you should use something like "fight Bac". It's a spray that helps close the teat end and has chlorhexathene in it to help prevent mastitis.

It might take a little time to get the teats to close on their own. You could use tape, just to protect the area.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California