Injuried hen

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Chi Chi, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I came home tonight to find one of our little hens with an injuried leg. My son said when he went out to see the goats late this afternoon he saw a hen in their pen. He went to lead her out and noticed she was limping badly. Once she made it in the sheep pen she laid there and another hen who flew out there enclosure stood by her. My son watched her and she didn't move for some time so he carried her back to their pen. When I got home my husband flagged me to the pen- she was just laying there panting. We brought her in to examine her and half way up her lower leg was a large puncture- not sure if it is broken- leg is pretty straight but she can not put any weight on it and holds it up. We cleaned it up, put neosporin on it, splinted it with cardboard and vet wrap. I have electrolytes in her water and gave her some by syrienge. She is eating. We have put her in a large kennel. Any suggestions?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The smaller the kennel to decrease mobility for a couple weeks. Check the bandage twice a day to make sure there is no oisture. Other than that - u r doing everything u can

3. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Thnaks. She is not moving much at all-food and water is within reach. I do take her out to hand feed her some water.