The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunflower's eye seemed rather irritated a couple of days ago. I think a piece of chaff got in it. Her mother Tansy had the same problem a couple years ago. When we went to the vet she didn't really think it would get better and that she would definitely never regain sight in that eye. But she gave us antibiotics and now you can't tell she ever had problems.
Sunflower's eye looks about the same as Tansy's did, pink, watery, cloudy and a small hollow where the speck is.
We had leftover terramycin from Tansy and we are putting that in her eye. My question is, Should i wash it out and what with? Surgery costs at least $200 and i really like this goat so thanks everyone.
Meg

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
I agree...get some saline solution an dflush it, be gentle..keep the eye area cleanand dry as possible and use the antibiotic cream 3-4 times a day

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody. I am going to the barn now to flush her eye out.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
I agree wash it out but what I would do is take a tea bag, soak in water and hold it to her eyes, Do both, rewet as needed and try to do that three times a day for 10 minutes each and then put a ointment in the eye like a Neos****e. Do this 3 times a day

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bad news, we have another goat with the same problem! I can not get more Terramycin anywhere. Southern states said it is something with the manufacturers. Would a human eye ointment work?

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree wash it out but what I would do is take a tea bag, soak in water and hold it to her eyes, Do both, rewet as needed and try to do that three times a day for 10 minutes each and then put a ointment in the eye like a Neos****e. Do this 3 times a day
What is that?

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
SOunds like pink and its spreading....You can use Tyaln 200/LA200 or pen as an eye drop as well, just draw some up in a syringe, remove needle and drop a drop in each effected eye.....as long as there is no ulcer ( a red lump in the eye) I have also used Neosporin successfully....

keep the area clean and dry as possible

·
Administrator
85,753 Posts
Yep pinkeye, a couple of drops of LA200( no needle) in the eye, 2 x a day for 5 days will kill the pinkeye, the cloudiness may take longer to disappear.

Keep the goats out of sun light,while treating, separate all that have pinkeye from the one's that don't. Watch those who don't and if they start pinkeye, then treat them.

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had thought it might be pinkeye except that both goats have a small hollow in their eye about the size of a peppercorn. Is that a symptom of pinkeye? With Tansy the vet said a piece of chaff or something got in it.

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
with a hollow spot..I would do the antibiotic cream over the drops...could be the start of an ulcer...

·
Administrator
85,753 Posts
Chlamydia and pinkeye
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/pinkeye.htm

Pink eye starts out with watering of the eye, then begins to cloud, after a short time, an ulceration begins, (Raised area) dead center, in the colored part of the eye.
Pinkeye doesn't take long to completely destroy an eye.

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Yes..that is what I use..it works good..keep the eye area clean and dry as possible

·
Registered
880 Posts
One of the British Guernsey doelings I bought a few months ago had gotten a bit of hay stuck in her eye just before I bought her and had a cloudy area. The breeder showed me what the vet had given her to treat it and as luck would have it it was the same as the meds I was prescribed for my own case of pinkeye a week earlier. I gave her my leftover drops and her eye looks good as new. I believe the medication was Ciprofloxacin drops.

·
merryoaks
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have another question? Triple antibiotic ointment was a lot cheaper then Neosporin. The labels said they had the same active ingredients. Can I just give her that?

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Yes..I often use the generic brands :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts